Newcomer / Intro Anyone noticed that canon shot becomes less effective over distance. If I'm blowing up their exhaust they only last a few seconds yet I've had occasio

Anyone noticed that canon shot becomes less effective over distance. If I'm blowing up their exhaust they only last a few seconds yet I've had occasions where they're trying to jump and in going then at a distance for what send like an eternity and ask in doing is wasting ammo so I had to let them go

Another factor is that at very close range it is difficult for a weapon to miss whereas when the target is far away it becomes so much easier.

Is there a point at which cannons are still in range but totally ineffective? Couple times now I've been gunning someone trying to leap from about 6.5 wtfs and although still in range seen to have absolution no effect despite shooting for ages. In the end I could see I was just waisting ammo and had to let them go

Yes, every weapon has a damage falloff range.

Is there a point at which cannons are still in range but totally ineffective? Couple times now I've been gunning someone trying to leap from about 6.5 wtfs and although still in range seen to have absolution no effect despite shooting for ages. In the end I could see I was just waisting ammo and had to let them go
While 6.5 away is within targeting range only weapons engineered to long range, except possibly missiles, can do anything beyond 4.0

Yes, there is some pretty steep falloff, and as mentioned, are you sure you're still hitting from that range? Have a look at weapon damage falloff on Coriolis. It's becomes pretty essential for effective weapon balancing. Oh, and maybe try a faster ship and don't let your prey get so far away?

Except, amusingly enough, cannons, right? Cannons have no falloff if I recall correctly. Multi-cannons do, but cannons do not.
But cannons are firing single slow shells by the time one has reached 4km even a T9 could have dodged, but a single explosive cannon shell will do virtually the same damage at point blank as maximum range if it hits.

I think falloff in multicannons is to reflect that the further away the target is the more misses will happen, lasers will suffer from inverse square law type effects and will actually get weaker the further the target.

But cannons are firing single slow shells by the time one has reached 4km even a T9 could have dodged, but a single explosive cannon shell will do virtually the same damage at point blank as maximum range if it hits.
We weren't discussing hit probability I don't think, just falloff. And with no falloff it does the same damage, not only virtually the same.

I think falloff in multicannons is to reflect that the further away the target is the more misses will happen, lasers will suffer from inverse square law type effects and will actually get weaker the further the target.
Perhaps. I think the misses should be what reflects the misses. And this is space for crying out loud. The only reason a cannon round would have 'falloff' is because of decreasing kinetic energy. The explosive aspect of a cannon round is not dependent on range. But any kinetic potential it has will be reduced over distance, but could be argued that's a very small part of a cannon round's damage potential. And in space, with no atmosphere, how much kinetic energy would these rounds lose?

No, I think it's a gameplay or balance concession, with little or no real-world basis.

We weren't discussing hit probability I don't think, just falloff. And with no falloff it does the same damage, not only virtually the same.

Perhaps. I think the misses should be what reflects the misses. And this is space for crying out loud. The only reason a cannon round would have 'falloff' is because of decreasing kinetic energy. The explosive aspect of a cannon round is not dependent on range. But any kinetic potential it has will be reduced over distance, but could be argued that's a very small part of a cannon round's damage potential. And in space, with no atmosphere, how much kinetic energy would these rounds lose?

No, I think it's a gameplay or balance concession, with little or no real-world basis.
It's space why would the kinetic energy of the round be changing over such short distances?

Top Bottom