Allow use of pre 3.3 Advanced Discovery Scanner

Long standing game elements should not be removed on a whim at the expense of the playerbase. Having used both old & new systems extensively it is clear there would be no advantage to fitting the old ADS module (the most powerful of the three) to a current ship that justifies their removal for balancing reasons.

The ADS/IDS/BDS modules should be made available in outfitting for players to purchase again. The ADS would provide the functionality already present in explored systems, in unexplored and partially explored systems at the cost of having to fit the ADS module (power, mass & occupies a slot). The other modules would provide similar functionality but with reduced range (and cost) as before.

Last edited:
The ADS/IDS/BDS modules should be made available in outfitting for players to purchase again.
Yes, that's what i mean. Encourage variety. If people do find FSS superior, and i'm sure most do, let them enjoy the FSS.
However do not take away from those that did enjoy the previous system, got used to it, as well as allow players to select their playstyle.
ED is a great game as it allows players to actively do what they want and, foremost, how they want to do it.
FSS would still be the leading exploration tool.
Allowing players to re-fit (should they decide to) previously used scanners would allow everyone to find their own style of exploring.

Maybe I'm just seeing things here, but I returned to the dark and started looking at systems with FSS that were discovered by ADS and found many that were scanned under the older ADS system, with credit given for being honked, but when I remap the same planet or moon, I get the credit if the planet or moon using FSS.

I don't know if I'm making sense with this, but there seems to be a possible bug here between the ADS of discovered and mapped systems as opposed to the discovered and mapped systems after FSS was introduced.

I have not studied this in detail because my destination was more important than discovering new systems or rediscovering systems already claimed but not mapped.

In other words, commanders have honked a system, found a planet for resources, visited just that planet, got credit for that planet and the system, but did not visit all the other planets in the system, but got credit for all of them. Then I come along, honk the system, FSS the entire system and get credit for the one planet someone else visited but did not land on. When I turn in the cartographic data, I got credit for that discovery. Again, maybe I'm seeing things, because the time between the scan and the return of cartographic data may be days or weeks apart and I did not really note exactly when It occurred. Checking my logs from EDSM seems to confirm this.

It may be the difference between the ADS honk of a system and seeing the results on the scanner being populated, and the FSS not revealing the same result on the scanner until the entire system is scanned to 100%. Maybe the difference I am seeing is discovery vs, mapped. You can get credit for the discovery, but until it is mapped, the second credit will not be given.

FSS may just have made this more visible, and what I am seeing is the difference between discovery labeling and mapped labeling.

Maybe I'm just seeing things here, but I returned to the dark and started looking at systems with FSS that were discovered by ADS and found many that were scanned under the older ADS system, with credit given for being honked, but when I remap the same planet or moon, I get the credit if the planet or moon using FSS.
Are you sure you use the FSS and not the probes? The old system only gave you "first discovered". The "first mapped" was introduced along with the scanner changes, which also introduced the ability to launch probes and map planetary bodies. So it's quite logical that you can find systems which previously were explored but have bodies which were not mapped yet. But to get the "first mapped" you have to use the Detailed Surface Scanner. If you indeed manage to get some "first mapped" entries without using this tool, you found a bug which should be reported.

Are you sure you use the FSS and not the probes? The old system only gave you "first discovered". The "first mapped" was introduced along with the scanner changes, which also introduced the ability to launch probes and map planetary bodies. So it's quite logical that you can find systems which previously were explored but have bodies which were not mapped yet. But to get the "first mapped" you have to use the Detailed Surface Scanner. If you indeed manage to get some "first mapped" entries without using this tool, you found a bug which should be reported.
Well, Like I said, I might be seeing things, but when I turned in the cartographic data, I saw planets I thought were "mapped" by others given credit to me. I'll have to research this further before reporting it as a bug.

The FSS has cut my exploration time by more than half, while also nearly quadrupling the number of non-icy bodies I scan.

Now, when dropping into a system, you have an at-a-glace indication if the system should be scanned or not. What's not to like?

The FSS has cut my exploration time by more than half
I don't deny that. In many (if not most) cases, FSS cuts the exploration time of whole system drasticaly. Then again, it's not about having it removed. I can see You have joined forums just recently(Thanks to my previous flop i've learned how to check that). This thread is about exploring a possibility of expanding exploration aspect of the game for those who did seek different kind of results from it. looking back, before the 3.3 update one would see what was in the system as well. But in a different manner. The one that others found faster than it is now with FSS. System map returned different kind of information. So does FSS. Please understand, that different player groups did seek something different from exploring the galaxy.
Giving the players the choice to choose their method is key here.

You can cherry-pick better with the FSS. I get it, you want the system map to be populated entirely.

In nearly every way the FSS functions better than honk-look system, especially for cherry-picking.

In nearly every way the FSS functions better than honk-look system
It's a subjective matter, really. What i want You to understand that exploration focused portion of the community had a viable mechanic taken away from them. Please do have a re-read of the thread to have a better understaing of the matter i'm trying to represent here. Whilst You might think that cherry picking is THE WAY of carrying out exploration it's not entirely true for the rest. You did mention the point i did explain previously, trying to justify FSS' presence in the game since it's faster for cherry-picking style of gameplay.
Then again, for those who seek views, vistas or otherwise extraordinary systems in vast expanses of entire galaxy it's a forced mechanic that slows the entire endeavour down.

The new discovery scanner works just like the old Advanced Discovery Scanner. Once you've established an orbital plane, you can go to the system map and find any stations that are present as well as all planets. If you want to discover those planets and the what comprises the rings (where applicable), you have to use your FSS. You needed a Surface scanner to do this before and now you don't. Just your FSS. If you still want to map the, then you'll need a Surface Scanner (just like before). So, no. The way it is right now is fine concerning exploration. Mining, I can't say as I'm not a miner and therefore won't even address that.

I'm pretty sick of these threads. I also think the first post describes pretty nicely exactly what I dislike about the ADS - jump, honk, glance, jump... This never should be called exploration.

Though to your defence,OP, at least you glanced, some didn't even do that.

I'm pretty sick of these threads. I also think the first post describes pretty nicely exactly what I dislike about the ADS - jump, honk, glance, jump... This never should be called exploration.

The jump honk that you dislike so much is still in the game and you get paid for it from what i have read on here, its just that you are denied the opportunity to "glance" The reason these threads keep popping up is that the FSS is a POS and i expect these threads will keep popping up unless fdev opens their ears to the feedback that they asked for. All the FSS acheived was ruining exploration for photo explorers. Its about as full on troll as it gets.

OTOH you got the zoomed-in view of the worlds, an advanced "photo explorers" tool. Just a little extra work and you can be much more sure the trip to the planet will be worth it.

AsTheSmileyGuy has already explained...

Then again, for those who seek views, vistas or otherwise extraordinary systems in vast expanses of entire galaxy it's a forced mechanic that slows the entire endeavour down.
Its been said over and over again, the FSS is a barrier to seeking out such things. There is no way you can spin it into being something useful.

AsTheSmileyGuy has already explained...

Its been said over and over again, the FSS is a barrier to seeking out such things. There is no way you can spin it into being something useful.
Yes, but you just don't get it that some of us LIKE the barrier. At least do something to get to know the system.

You're sick of people asking for something that wouldn't affect your gameplay in any way?

Interesting outlook.

This is what really frustrates me, I don't see the difference between what the op is describing and using this instead;-

It's no more complicated that looking through the old charts of planets that we used to consult before and they've even added an indicator in the lower left of the UI to tell you what type of planet the scanning line is on.

The only issue I have with the FSS is that there should be options to manage the volume of the signals and pulsing lights to help people who have reported migranes when using it.

Yes, but you just don't get it that some of us LIKE the barrier. At least do something to get to know the system.
Im not saying you shouldnt like it, im not saying to take it away from you. Im saying that everybody could be happy if the player was given the choice. Choice is the big issue here, the last update forced the FSS on people who do not like it. Does your enjoyment and my enjoyment have to be exclusive? I dont beleive it does.

Its the same issue as that awful colour saturation, subnautica gives the player three different filters that they can choose between, three! ED inflicts itself upon the player, are we meant to be grateful for this?

It's no more complicated that looking through the old charts of planets that we used to consult before and they've even added an indicator in the lower left of the UI to tell you what type of planet the scanning line is on.
Yes it is. Its a barrier to gameplay, i dont need to explain why cause its been explained in many posts. If you arnt getting it yet you never will. Anybody claiming its no different is just plain wrong.

Last edited:
Yes it is. Its a barrier to gameplay, i dont need to explain why cause its been explained in many posts. If you arnt getting it yet you never will. Anybody claiming its no different is just plain wrong.
I'm afraid you would have to explain because (And pardon the pun), because I just don't see it. With the new system I can see if there are planets of interest without having to leave the game to look up a chart because it tells you in the bottom left hand corner, I can scan an entire system within a couple of minutes if I chose to. I don't sew why it's a barrier to gameplay when there wasn't really any gameplay in the old exploration mechanic anyway.

Top Bottom