Advise on Multipurpose Python with Horizons

I am fairly new player, I've gotten thru few posts and come up with my planned build, any suggestion is welcome. I have some doubt on certain points so I appreciate the feedback from more experienced players.

https://s.orbis.zone/3fxd

• I plan to use this build for a mission runner, main ship. I play Pve.
  • Should I go for the 7G Power Plant and use Beam / Burst Lasers instead of the Medium Pulses ?
  • Should I switch the cannon and go for all MultiCannons ?
  • What about the utility mounts ? Do you recommend a Kws ? Credits are not my main issue. I can mine for about 3 hours with my AspX and make another 70 - 120 million. I am undecided on the ECM, but I think a chaff or Point Defense will not be much use due to the size of Python.
  • I can switch the 3B Collector / FS Interdictor to open space for a 3D Module Reinf. Based on the shields and hull strength, I think one will suffice. Though I don't like swiching modules, I don't find it realistic.
  • I don 't think that a Fuel Scoop is required (Don't let the Fuel Rats hear that :))) ) 32T of fuel should be more than enough for a mission runner

Thanks

There is no "G" module. - My Pythons all have 6A Power Plants.

I use beams to strip shields and MC to rip hull - I find the cannon less useful but you might be good at keeping close (I am rubbish at combat) so making them more effective.

I find ECM useless - up to you. I much prefer to have a couple of PDTs - especially since I have noticed a lot of NPC launched mines lately. I use chaff a lot.

I don't do "PvP" so I wouldn't fit the SCB or HRP (nor the boosters) since in PvE the Python tends to do quite nicely with only an engineered 6A shield - but I don't stick around if my last shield ring gets "dim". If you are mission-running do you really want a FSI? Are you perhaps leaning towards a bit of piracy? I don't do that nor assassinations so can't comment.

I assume you will engineer FSD for jump range but you might want to have a class 5 Guardian FSD booster available for some things.

Thanks, I plan the FSI for occasional bounty hunting / kill single pirate missions... My main combat ship is a Viper Mk IV, I don't intend to use my Python for combat in a way I do like my Viper but my Viper survived a dog fight with a NPC Anaconda with only %30 hull and lots of malfunctioning modules (missiles ....) so I thought I fit a HRP since they will have similar hull strengths with the HRP. I also do have a Vulture but its not much use as it is as I fit 2 PA on it and didn't get to engineer the Power Plant yet...

I think it covers the bases rather well. My experience with Python is that it's somewhat sluggish compared to the ships I usually like to fly at least, so gimbals are recommended. The 2 beams/3 MC combo is rather vanilla, but should serve you well. ECM isn't that useful unless you lose your shields alot. Point Defence wouldn't be that great either, unless you are aftaid of hatch breaker limpets. Chaff is pretty good, or perhaps a Wake Scanner, a fairly low grade one to save power. It would help in single pirate kill missions, or just to get data for engineering by scanning random wakes.

I'd really consider a fuel scoop as it is great QoL improvement, but if you really stay on one area and have another ship for travel you may not need it. Similarly, the Guardian FSD booster would get the jump range to tolerable levels, as would engineering.

Chaff instead of the ECM, which I've never been able to use successfully.

Sooner or later, you will have to think about engineering your ship. It wouldn't take too much to improve modules to Grade 3, even if you don't want to take them all the way to Grade 5 at this stage. I know .... it's a long road, but you see benefits in the end.

Personally, and as said above by Para Handy, lasers strip out shields, then the multicannons can get to work, and that's how I equip my mission-runner ships if fighting is also anticipated.

An alternative mission runner, often overlooked (but doesn't have access to outposts, regrettably) is the Clipper because it can run so fast. But that is probably a digression.

As far as I cen tell, Interdictor isn't required for killing pirate missions. Usually you can find target signal source with FSS and drop to normal space there, locate him at Nav beacons, or he will interdict you.

Chaff instead of the ECM, which I've never been able to use successfully.

Sooner or later, you will have to think about engineering your ship. It wouldn't take too much to improve modules to Grade 3, even if you don't want to take them all the way to Grade 5 at this stage. I know .... it's a long road, but you see benefits in the end.

Personally, and as said above by Para Handy, lasers strip out shields, then the multicannons can get to work, and that's how I equip my mission-runner ships if fighting is also anticipated.

An alternative mission runner, often overlooked (but doesn't have access to outposts, regrettably) is the Clipper because it can run so fast. But that is probably a digression.
Thanks on the advice. Yes, engineering my ships is my next priority. I already got my first taste with Blaster McQuinn, I learned much more from experience, what I missed from the videos. Like, you cannot gain influence with an engineer while remote work shopping (which is logical imo), or you need to apply a upgrade 3-4 times before jumping the next grade even if you have it already unlocked :) . With the material gathering part and considering my Viper didn't had the SRV initially, it was quite the ordeal but I did get the hang of if.... I will be running to Felicity, Seline and Dweller soon...

Main thing is, you can try and do too much with a "multi-role" ship and end up with something that's not very good at any of it.

That is a decent enough multi-role ship but it's not going to be terribly good at BHing, warfighting or PvP so you might as well ditch anything intended to help with those things.
In this case, I'd dump the SCB and Interdictor and forget about fitting things like a KWS.
I'd also dump the cannon (short on ammo) and the pulse lasers (not very useful unengineered).
Unless there's a good reason for them, I'd get rid of the A-rated sensors and replace them with D-rated.
Depending on power requirements, I'd consider replacing the 7A PDist with a lighter/smaller one instead.

Here's my multi-role Python, for comparison: https://s.orbis.zone/3f-_

Main thing is, you can try and do too much with a "multi-role" ship and end up with something that's not very good at any of it.

That is a decent enough multi-role ship but it's not going to be terribly good at BHing, warfighting or PvP so you might as well ditch anything intended to help with those things.
In this case, I'd dump the SCB and Interdictor and forget about fitting things like a KWS.
I'd also dump the cannon (short on ammo) and the pulse lasers (not very useful unengineered).
Unless there's a good reason for them, I'd get rid of the A-rated sensors and replace them with D-rated.
Depending on power requirements, I'd consider replacing the 7A PDist with a lighter/smaller one instead.

Here's my multi-role Python, for comparison: https://s.orbis.zone/3f-_
Nice build... especially loved the name... Prismatic Shield is also on my mind but Its early for me to swear loyalty yet... I don't want any unwanted hostility... I don't have access to the engineers as of now but I got the idea behind your build. One questions though, why favor thermal weapons over kinetic, do I miss something ?

One questions though, why favor thermal weapons over kinetic, do I miss something ?
An astute observation. ;)

My philosophy is that you need to take shields down before you can do any (significant) hull damage so lasers (which are best suited to inflicting shield damage) are the priority.
Added to which, a decent laser set-up is capable of taking out small ships by themselves, which means using none of the MC's ammo.
Set up one Fire-Group with lasers alone, for shields and small ships and another with lasers & MCs for big ships and inflicting hull-damage.
Also, lasers do a reasonable amount of hull damage which reduces the amount of ammo' you use overall.

It's certainly possible (and undeniably effective) to "brute force" through a ship's shield with kinetic weapons but, ideally, they need to be engineered and you'll be getting through a significant amount of ammo and, thus, will either need to re-arm or synthesize more ammo' frequently.

You'd really need to try using a set-up like that to see how effective it is, though.
The 3 lasers bring shields down pretty quick and the 2x 3D MC's do a damned fine job of chewing though hulls.
I certainly never feel like I need more kinetic weapons.

Generally I'd keep life support and scanners D rated (lowest mass) and push all but the power plant to A.
After outfitting the ship completely fit a power plant that produces enough power to support everything you have. Ideally you pick the one with enough power and least mass because mass reduces your jump range.

As already suggested I'd always go with a fuel scoop for a Bubble hopping alrounder.
Weapons best some lasers and some ballistic ones. Personally I favor two beam lasers (modded for heat reduction on hit. Might be to hot without that) and multi cannons. All gimballed so I just need to point and fire.

Save the biggest slot for shields if you also want to do combat missions and cargo (you might end up with a slow fuel scoop then, but well, can't have everything).

If you are already engineering your ships I'd at least go for weapons and shields, and, of course, FSD range.

Thanks for all of the replies.... I will go with below build as I have limited access to engineers and no access to guardian, power play modules for the moment. I will make changes on it as I progress my access. Thanks for the support.

https://s.orbis.zone/3g5_

I find the cannon less useful but you might be good at keeping close (I am rubbish at combat) so making them more effective.
I agree that cannons are not like MCs and requires a little more than just "pull the trigger". But well placed cannon's shot might be impressive due to higher piercing value and breach damage to modules.

Greetings,

Short version. The Python properly outfitted and engineered will pay for every other ship in the game making more credits than even a cargo Cutter and a lot better than a Type-9 Trying to do every play style with a Python will work with player experience but limits what it really excels at in ED. Players starting out can get similar cargo results with a Type-7 to pay for one feeling comfortable with 170 million credits. Engineering is also important and adds more player experience. Note that player experience to fly a Python or any other ship is also important.

Here is the 240 cargo trader version plus an SRV and DSS for planetary prospecting looking for engineering materials. I use it to get allied with local factions with maybe a Dolphin just for quick data deliveries. It can do two 120 cargo missions or one 180 plus smaller ones after getting allied with all the local factions making millions in profits.

Here is the passenger version. With 3A shields I wouldn't recommend Open mode. After getting allied with the local factions in the right system the credits just keep on coming!.

Regards

Last edited:
First off, i used to do stuff in a multipurpose ship, but meanwhile i'm using dedicated ships for different tasks, and overall i think that works better.
That said, here is what i'm using:

For transport missions (Ceos/Sothis for example): Coward Trader (Python)
Build to have maximum cargo, good jump range, only minimum shields (to avoid scratches to hull while docking), engine focused power distributor to run in case i botch an interdiction attempt.

For daily business: Diamondback Exploder
High jump range & utility. Basically a close-to-bubble explorer, and engineer material collector. Enough combat ability to handle the occasional pirate or even abit more than that.

The closest i have to an "multipurpose" ship is my Krait: Skyfire
Pretty solid combat ability but not intended for longer fights in CZ or Res sites. Good utility and speed, but jump range is...lacking (i personally think anything below 40ly is to short^^)

If you insist on a multipurpose python however, i'd do something like this: Python Jack
I don't think you need chaff/ecm, at least not for PvE. KWS is - in my opinion - not worth the hassle. Guardian frame shift booster can be swapped for another cargo rack (or hull booster, or...). It has even resists on shields and hull, a fast charging shield, enough hull to let you run if things get rough, enough damage to handle everything but thargoids and flies pretty well and fast. Drawbacks are that it won't handle long fights (unless you synthesize ammo), and the jump range is a bit limited.

I am fairly new player, I've gotten thru few posts and come up with my planned build, any suggestion is welcome. I have some doubt on certain points so I appreciate the feedback from more experienced players.

https://s.orbis.zone/3fxd

• I plan to use this build for a mission runner, main ship. I play Pve.
  • Should I go for the 7G Power Plant and use Beam / Burst Lasers instead of the Medium Pulses ?
  • Should I switch the cannon and go for all MultiCannons ?
  • What about the utility mounts ? Do you recommend a Kws ? Credits are not my main issue. I can mine for about 3 hours with my AspX and make another 70 - 120 million. I am undecided on the ECM, but I think a chaff or Point Defense will not be much use due to the size of Python.
  • I can switch the 3B Collector / FS Interdictor to open space for a 3D Module Reinf. Based on the shields and hull strength, I think one will suffice. Though I don't like swiching modules, I don't find it realistic.
  • I don 't think that a Fuel Scoop is required (Don't let the Fuel Rats hear that :))) ) 32T of fuel should be more than enough for a mission runner
Thanks
I heard you loud and clear.. I may just take a while if you need me :)

Top Bottom