Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Yes. Frontier should permaban cheaters. The same goes for loggers as well.

I'd be happy with the forums being cleared out of all the Riff-Raff.
While I do agree in general, when it comes to combat loggers you'd have to provide a reliable way to separate true logging from all sorts of other potential reasons (like the quite common 24 hours disconnect forced by most providers). Good luck with that. The most horrible vision would be if these loggers were identified by 'gut feelings' alone or opaque statistics. I'd left combat loggers out of the equation for now cause that's an almost impossible to solve border case.

While I do agree in general, when it comes to combat loggers you'd have to provide a reliable way to separate true logging from all sorts of other potential reasons (like the quite common 24 hours disconnect forced by most providers). Good luck with that. The most horrible vision would be if these loggers were identified by 'gut feelings' alone or opaque statistics. I'd left combat loggers out of the equation for now cause that's an almost impossible to solve border case.
It's easy for FDEV to determine a normal 15 second log from a taskkill. In regards to the ISP problems you mentioned, that would be up to Frontier to take into account.

AFK turretboat heal beamers can sit in PG and farm all day in PP, because the PP CZs are old school.
No, i think you misunderstand. Can the bots that exist at the moment select the right CZ (presumably high for efficiency) and run back and forth when the CZ is over? Are they that advanced? I understand how it might not be hard for PP runs, since it simple destination programming and collection/delivery of stuff.

I'm thinking from a programming perspective and wondering how easy it would be to do such a thing in relation to CZ to make it work efficiently, and not just sit in CZ shooting targets that are not there or even in range.

Are you speculating about how capable these bots are, or have you investigated them and determined they can do this sort of thing?

Its the same for mission running. How can a bot determine if its a mission worth taking and that it can be completed and then select the right reward for max inf. What missions would they be capable of? And what happens if the mission board doesn't have any missions it can do?

Yes. Frontier should permaban cheaters.
And they will be right back with a new account tied to a new email for a low low price as they bought spare accounts during sales.

Sure, the accounts need to be permabanned once they are confirmed to be cheaters, but its not a full solution. They need better detection routines.

And they will be right back with a new account tied to a new email for a low low price as they bought spare accounts during sales.

Sure, the accounts need to be permabanned once they are confirmed to be cheaters, but its not a full solution. They need better detection routines.
IP and Hardware Ban. Kinda hard to get a alt account when your Harddrive's been blacklisted.

No, i think you misunderstand. Can the bots that exist at the moment select the right CZ (presumably high for efficiency) and run back and forth when the CZ is over? Are they that advanced? I understand how it might not be hard for PP runs, since it simple destination programming and collection/delivery of stuff.

I'm thinking from a programming perspective and wondering how easy it would be to do such a thing in relation to CZ to make it work efficiently, and not just sit in CZ shooting targets that are not there or even in range.

Are you speculating about how capable these bots are, or have you investigated them and determined they can do this sort of thing?

Its the same for mission running. How can a bot determine if its a mission worth taking and that it can be completed and then select the right reward for max inf. What missions would they be capable of? And what happens if the mission board doesn't have any missions it can do?
I do not know with new style CZs. AFK turretboat heal beamers have been demonstrated on Healies4Feelies.

So if you want to answer a question, do you think anyone who cheats should be permabanned? Because if the answer is yes then I would suspect you'll find this forum would be a lot less populated :)
All things considered, absolutely.

Don't let the door hit yah where the good lord split yah, I say!

No seriously, I log in play the game for a couple of hours. log out and do other stuff, it has zero affect on me
So you log in your favorite starport and find the BGS made the faction you got your palladium missions from has been ousted. Or your IF vanished. Not affected? Granted, those are niche cases and don't affect you much, but my point stands they affect you. You may not care, which depends on your playstyle, but the whole game is built on the premise that everything is affected more or less by the BGS.

It's easy for FDEV to determine a normal 15 second log from a taskkill. In regards to the ISP problems you mentioned, that would be up to Frontier to take into account.
Not sure why you mention the 15 second log, but when it comes to the 24 hours disconnects, that just was an example - and probably one that could be solvable (albeit being anything but trivial). The border cases start when it comes to people with shaky connections. Where do you draw the line about what is still acceptable and where it starts being the player's responsibility?

IP and Hardware Ban. Kinda hard to get a alt account when your Harddrive's been blacklisted.
IP ban is impossible. I'm baffled that you still come up with such nonsense, all the more we're just discussing the 24 hours disconnect forced by providers that always (as far as I'm aware) comes along with an IP change. Even if some rare exceptions might exist, that's an absolute no go.

Last edited:
IP ban is impossible. I'm baffled that you still come up with such nonsense, all the more we're just discussing the 24 hours disconnect forced by providers that always (as far as I'm aware) comes along with an IP change.
It would depend if you had a static or dynamic ip. Thats where the hardware would come in.

It would depend if you had a static or dynamic ip. Thats where the hardware would come in.
Aren't non-switched lines a lot more expensive and therefore a lot less used? Not sure what you have in mind with hardware detection and if that's even legal in some countries or technically possible at all. Btw, have you ever heard about IP spoofing? Mind I'm no IT expert but I'm under the impression you have no clue at all.

Not by setting the club on fire

Apparently you started on the right path - pointing FDev to the cheats and reporting the suspected cheaters.
Then something changed and you decided to pull this stunt.
Which stunt, for the moment, is having the predictable effect of vastly increasing the number of cheaters.

What could happen is either FDev invests some (a lot) of money trying to fix it - or they will ignore it and let it fade away.
After all, it is a dangerous galaxy full of pirates, scoundrels, gankers and not at last... cheaters. And everyone has to blaze their own trail
What changed was them not doing anything for 6 months. This is the SOP for reporting vulnerabilities in the tech industry, btw. You inform, give a window to correct, and then go public if they don't. It is not my responsibility to ensure the integrity of FDev's game, it's theirs. PvPers have been facing rampant hacking for nearly a year now which is why we decided to try and do something about it. What do you do when you bring something to the dev's attention and they do nothing about it? You make others aware.

If more people are cheating because of the awareness, I say good. FDev should do something to fix the problem and their community that encourages cheating more than any other game community that I've interacted with. For years, on this very forum, people openly encouraged combat logging (and still do) as a way to avoid legitimate gameplay and FDev did absolutely nothing to help the problem. Mods on this forum openly sympathized with combat loggers and some even combat logged themselves. This behavior absolutely ruined PvP piracy.

Keep in mind though that the specific hack we did our post was locked down a day after our post went up, so the cheats that are being used aren't the ones we posted about.

What changed was them not doing anything for 6 months. This is the SOP for reporting vulnerabilities in the tech industry, btw. You inform, give a window to correct, and then go public if they don't. It is not my responsibility to ensure the integrity of FDev's game, it's theirs. PvPers have been facing rampant hacking for nearly a year now which is why we decided to try and do something about it. What do you do when you bring something to the dev's attention and they do nothing about it? You make others aware.

If more people are cheating because of the awareness, I say good. FDev should do something to fix the problem and their community that encourages cheating more than any other game community that I've interacted with. For years, on this very forum, people openly encouraged combat logging (and still do) as a way to avoid legitimate gameplay and FDev did absolutely nothing to help the problem. Mods on this forum openly sympathized with combat loggers and some even combat logged themselves. This behavior absolutely ruined PvP piracy.

Keep in mind though that the specific hack we did our post was locked down a day after our post went up, so the cheats that are being used aren't the ones we posted about.
This. Absolutely this. Can't wrap my head around all the strawmen being tossed around here to dodge this simple truth.

Bots are capable of that through OCR. I saw a bot that would auto-jump for you to any destination (and scoop fuel). Guy went to Colonia with it while he was sleeping. Can't imagine it would be much more difficult to do the same for that.

Remember, though, that many of these cheats have "instant drop at destination" as a feature, so all you'd have to do is select your end point, jump to SC, then use the hack function to drop you right in front of the slot. EZPZ

Aren't non-switched lines a lot more expensive and therefore a lot less used? Not sure what you have in mind with hardware detection and if that's even legal in some countries or technically possible at all. Btw, have you ever heard about IP spoofing? Mind I'm no IT expert but I'm under the impression you have no clue at all.
Sure it's quite easy to spoof or mask a IP using a VPN. However my suggestions were not directed at you. I have no clue why you are continuing to attempt to refute my statements.

Top Bottom