Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

1- the server can crosscheck files and code in memory in a client when he tries to start the game, or when he docks at a station. That wouldn't put too much pressure on the servers.
And how would that be done? The server can't just "check" files remotely on someone else's machine, the machine itself has to send information to the server. In other words, the "send files and code in memory" program has to run on the client... and that program can also be hacked to send the right data, while you have the wrong code on the computer. That's been done in the past in other programs.

2- other players in the same instance could use their own client check ship's data of another. The premise is simple here: get the various attributes of the ship, as well as a list of modules and modifications, and do the math. If the ship has damage, shields or whatever different from what it should, then it's a cheater.
This method can be run passively during combat, or before the instance starts, when the connection is being established between peers.
Note: this method cannot detect cheats like infinite distributor energy, infinite shields, or perma-boost,unless the peers are constantly doing the math of others to cross-check each and every action.
This method is that one I believe most in, because the cheater can't change your computers check program and the data the cheater sends must be the actual actions and activity at that moment, but there are some issues with this as well. Still, it's the only one I think can't be easily hacked.

---

edit

Another method I mentioned before is to constantly change the location of data and procedures in the game. Each week a patch, moving the pertinent code the hackers need to change. That way it'll eventually get too much work to constantly keep up making the "trainers" and cheaters will constantly have to wait for the next hack version. Make them constantly run behind.

Last edited:
How, specifically, could it have been handled differently in your eyes?
Not by setting the club on fire

Apparently you started on the right path - pointing FDev to the cheats and reporting the suspected cheaters.
Then something changed and you decided to pull this stunt.
Which stunt, for the moment, is having the predictable effect of vastly increasing the number of cheaters.

What could happen is either FDev invests some (a lot) of money trying to fix it - or they will ignore it and let it fade away.
After all, it is a dangerous galaxy full of pirates, scoundrels, gankers and not at last... cheaters. And everyone has to blaze their own trail

chuckles

Pointing out inaccuracies in what people assert to be fact, isn't shameful. Surely if anyone should be accused of a shameful act then it is the person who claimed it affected everyone. No?

Guess not, as you were then.
I'm sure BGS is still active within Shirarta, the only difference is that the main faction cannot be overthrown so yes, the BGS still affects you there.

indeed it didnt happened, yet due to their advertising skills - there are 1200 more cheaters in Elite than there were 1.5 months ago

or did it happened?
I've no issue with the facts.

I have an issue with laying responsibility at the feet of those who seek to make the game better for all of us and comparing it to crime involving a firearm or burning down a club.

The last point, quite frankly, sickens me quite a bit. Surely there are more reasonable metaphors to use, or are our brains and use of language that stupid?

After all, it is a dangerous galaxy full of pirates, scoundrels, gankers and not at last... cheaters. And everyone has to blaze their own trail
Congratulations! You've expressed the single most deplorable attitude in this thread yet. No. Just, no.

But still you are affected, if only due to your favorite Interstellar Factors having vanished after the latest BGS shenanigans for example.
You may not give a damn, but you ARE affected by it.
No seriously, I log in play the game for a couple of hours. log out and do other stuff, it has zero affect on me

yea, a strong metaphor indeed :(

But apparently everyone thinks that FDev has a Cheats OFF button that they do not want to press.
While the architecture (prone to cheats) and the No Subscription Policy were decided like 5 years ago.

How many people that claim to love this game would actually pay a monthly subscription for each commander they have in the game?

yea, a strong metaphor indeed :(

But apparently everyone thinks that FDev has a Cheats OFF button that they do not want to press.
While the architecture (prone to cheats) and the No Subscription Policy were decided like 5 years ago.

How many people that claim to love this game would actually pay a monthly subscription for each commander they have in the game?
Depending on the price and what it would provide for, I would!

Would you like to elaborate on that?
Sure. What are you going to do if you're ever faced with a cheater? Or do you believe that scenario will never occur?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Congratulations, you identified the exception to the rule that I suspect lots of people already know.

Here's some questions, and a chance to prove you're not just trying to score points, do you ever leave Shinrarta? Do you engage in any mission running out of Shinrarta, any work or activity with other factions or people? Do you have any friends that do?

If so, then I suspect cheating does actually affect you. Whether or not you care is another issue, but if you don't, why post here at all?
Yes (as I said in my first reply), no, yes (not sure if you could call doing stupid things in the name of science, or racing, applicable though), yes.

It doesn't affect me, it most certainly does affect people I know and virtually everyone else who I am friends with. I've made my standpoint very clear on cheating over the years and it won't change.

So if you want to answer a question, do you think anyone who cheats should be permabanned? Because if the answer is yes then I would suspect you'll find this forum would be a lot less populated :)

Last edited:
People are forgetting that these cheats can also affect exploration via exagerated jump ranges and increased ship health (comes in handy in crashes and neutron star boosts).

So yes, these cheats also affects you explorers...
Sure. Exploration was always so competitive... 😱 but you actually have a point: these exaggerated jump ranges have the nasty side effect to heavily screw the database with technically impossible entries - something that's mainly a bane for Frontier and will drop back to them at some point in the future as potential nightmare to filter all these cheated entries out of the database. This aspect is actually the only true competitive one in exploration: to reach places no one ever managed to reach.

I don't think we should waste our time with comprehensive explanations of why cheating is a bad thing. I assume no one's seriously questioning (except the cheaters themselves perhaps) that cheating is a bad thing. If we'd really have to convince Frontier about these simple basics I'd long lost any hope in the devs anyway.

Personally, and why I'm engaged in this tread in the first place is, that I still love the game. Always did and still do, all objections aside. As such I'm always concerned about the integrity of the game and there's nothing so strongly undermining this integrity than cheating.

Last edited:

The Replicated Man

T
So if you want to answer a question, do you think anyone who cheats should be permabanned? Because if the answer is yes then I would suspect you'll find this forum would be a lot less populated :)
Yes. Frontier should permaban cheaters. The same goes for loggers as well.

I'd be happy with the forums being cleared out of all the Riff-Raff.

Sure. What are you going to do if you're ever faced with a cheater? Or do you believe that scenario will never occur?

Not sure I would even notice t be honest. I fly mostly small ships with no engineering so am often blown up before I can escape. I would guess the cheater card gets thrown around far more often than it actually occurs.
As far as cheat detection goes, every engine that I know of has problems with false positives including the vaunted Battle Eye so many talk about.
Frontier (and the cheat sites themselves) verify that bans occur so FDev is doing something about it,
Their policy of no naming and shaming (even from them) has been around as long as the game expecting them to start now (especially to assuage the feelings of some players) is probably a stretch.
So for the time being if I think someone is cheating (i would have to get gud first) I will report and move on.
Hanging on to the drama like a dog on a bone would be far more detrimental to my peace of mind.

Take care
and enjoy

Goose4291

Banned
As far as cheat detection goes, every engine that I know of has problems with false positives including the vaunted Battle Eye so many talk about.
'False positives' in BattleEye in my experience are usually the results of angry 12 yr old E-Sgts banning people from their super-serious Mil-Sim Servers (or bad mod makers not providing a BiKey for their work).

Perhaps you should read the post you've quoted without your bias spectacles on then?

Troopi asked if someone can attest to the scenario. I confirmed I not only did do it, but did it despite not being the best pilot in the game with a near starter level ship.
If you can rewrite the post without being derrogatory to those who are not interested in PvP, i will read it.

Shrug and move on. Like I said, I stopped bothering about whether I could directly stop someone affecting the BGS a long time ago and I don't cry if someone destroys my pixel spaceship. Its a game, if it gets to the point where I can't play it, which has happened a few times in the past, then I will put it down and play something else and come back to it later.

Top Bottom