A question: Are you a lone flyer or do you move with friends?

Primarily a lone wolf, but I have very much enjoyed the online camaraderie of Distant Worlds 1 (especially with the Rock Rats) and, to a lesser extent due to Real Life, Distant Worlds 2.

I've also, as a first for me, attended some real-world game-related functions for this game, met some amazing people, and subsequently joined the crazy Hutton Truckers (FOR THE MUG!) although I have yet to really do much PwPing with them in-game (mostly, again, due to Real Life having dumped me in an inconvenient timezone for now).

But one thing is for sure: in general I very much dislike playing with Rando's online. Not just in Elite Dangerous. Mostly because the large majority has a very different gaming ethos to myself. I like to immerse myself in the games I play, which means I will go to great lengths to avoid dying - even in offline single-player games. Add online to it with a lot of players coming from FPS, and more recently Battle Royale, backgrounds, where death and respawn happens 20 times per minute, and you can see where the differences in playstyle comes from.

shrug Each their own :)

I usually fly on my own. But I'm still out on DW2 and made some friends in fc. I like it, I'm still 65kys outside and I've noticed that quite a bunch of people rushed back to the bubble after reaching bp. I'll take the long way in western direction to get home again o7

I've been doing a lot of soul-searching in ED lately, as to what kind of pilot I am.

For the longest time I thought I would be a social CMDR. You might think that would be the case with the amount I've posted in this community.

But no. I just can't play this delightful game unless I'm on my own. It's reached a peak. I deleted my entire friends list just now in the game, and as such, nobody can see where I am unless they share an instance with me.

And I'm much happier for it.

I've even gone so far as to clear all my wing/MC related bindings: I've never used them, and at this point it's clear I never will.

But I would ask of you, CMDRs, are you, like me, a person who prefers to control his own destiny, or would you seek out allies and forge an empire?
I'm a lone commander too. Just me and my one and only ship. Freedom. :)

Unless you hover around CGs or Jameson or engage in PvP regularly...it's kind of hard to not fly solo. I flew in Open all the time, but rarely see another commander. I'd probably play Elite more these days if I had a group to fly with, but then again, I dunno the community aspect would actually hold the game up for me. I can think of a lot of other titles I'd rather play with friends. Don't get me wrong, I like Elite - but I don't think it has enough meat on its bones to keep a group entertained unless you just like PvP with each other.

And CQC is...well, yeah. So I pretty much fly solo. I play other, more 'group fun' games, with my friends.

Unless you hover around CGs or Jameson or engage in PvP regularly...it's kind of hard to not fly solo. I flew in Open all the time, but rarely see another commander. I'd probably play Elite more these days if I had a group to fly with, but then again, I dunno the community aspect would actually hold the game up for me. I can think of a lot of other titles I'd rather play with friends. Don't get me wrong, I like Elite - but I don't think it has enough meat on its bones to keep a group entertained unless you just like PvP with each other.

And CQC is...well, yeah. So I pretty much fly solo. I play other, more 'group fun' games, with my friends.
I think the idea is that tools like squadrons & friend lists allow you to locate other players & go to the hotspots of activity. If you drink at home you will be safe but only meet people you already know. If you go to a nightclub you'll meet lots of new people but might get into a fight.

Top Bottom