2020: Do you think its going to be worth the wait?

Most of you seem to forget that we were supposed to have the new Ice planets without paying for them.Also Fleet Carriers were supposed to be free.Why no one here complains about it ? Perhaps this is one (Ice Planets) is part of the major update we are expecting and RTX Support (one can hope). Also what's the point that FD allowed us to map non land-able planets and giving us the details of surface materials if not for preparing for future content (perhaps atmospheric landings). I think we are close enough to that!

To be honest, no. The game is in a borked state and there needs to be alot of improvements coming in order for me to come back. Especially on the PvP side, which now has seen "nerfs" thanks to the removal of CGs, the ignorance towards powerplay and general absence of any counteracts against combat logging, cheating and utterly bad netcode (fighters cause lags).
Content is the last thing I desire right now. Quality is what is needed urgently. I'd prefare any 2D retro space shooter over ELite at the moment. The sole reason it still is installed is because I have put so many hours in it already which means I have a large set of oppotunities, though all lack in reasoning and attraction.
A basic thoughtflow is me considering firing up Elite but then I question myself what I would like to do there. The answer is always PvP as everything else is boring or unchallenging or I have done all the other things like trading, unlocking stuff etc. already. Even PvP sometimes is boring. However, then I remember I can't play PvP because there is no reason to do PvP in Elite, secondly there is no place and third, there are barriers like insatncing, combat logging, cheating, netcode, imbalances and many many more that prevents me from enjoying the game and make it worth my precious time.

Lastly, the devloper team and its information flow play an important role for me to play a game for long. I want to know wheather or not it is worth to invest my time into a game and for tha tI need to be infromed about future plans. With Frontier's strategy of sharing next to no information this is not possible, another major downside.
This leaves me with the conclusion that, after checking out the latest update and playing all of what it had to offer, Elite is not worth playing at the moment because of bad quality and thus waiting for more content that most likely will be in a bad state too, is not worth waiting for.

Most of you seem to forget that we were supposed to have the new Ice planets without paying for them.Also Fleet Carriers were supposed to be free.Why no one here complains about it ?
Lol, because when someone says they'll try to give you ten things for free, gives you eight and tells you the final two will hopefully come later a well-adjusted adult doesn't complain about the possibility that they may not get even more for free.

Most of you seem to forget that we were supposed to have the new Ice planets without paying for them.Also Fleet Carriers were supposed to be free.Why no one here complains about it ? Perhaps this is one (Ice Planets) is part of the major update we are expecting and RTX Support (one can hope). Also what's the point that FD allowed us to map non land-able planets and giving us the details of surface materials if not for preparing for future content (perhaps atmospheric landings). I think we are close enough to that!
Maybe because they said we won't be paying for them. They may well come out when the next era comes, but they should be free for everyone who has horizons.

Most of you seem to forget that we were supposed to have the new Ice planets without paying for them.Also Fleet Carriers were supposed to be free.Why no one here complains about it ?
what is making you think they will not?
Even in horizon some features were made available to the ones who has only the base game.

Don't worry about the NDA. I am sure we can all agree that if there ever was an example of an entity widely renown for always delivering on time, on budget and with impeccable quality it is the government. :)
Lmao, true, so true, to bad we were working for them not as them, they maintain a whole different set of standards all of a sudden if it's not them delivering lol.

Yes I'm looking forward to the 2020 update. I'm also looking forward to the new Doom sequel, the next Elder Scrolls game and GTA 6 (etc.). Right now I'm enjoying what's in front of me though.

So long as new gameplay is introduced, it's all good. I'm not sure what I'd do with space legs, but if that is what is intended, I'm sure they must have something good in mind. Hopefully with this being a paid update this will focus some minds on making sure it's good more than if it was a free update.

I'm not so sure. What ever may be coming next year, I am concerned that the break in content will see a lot of players leave but not return. Even if its the best content update ever made, players move on, loose interest. I feel I am there myself right now, without any desire to play the current build, but also no desire to wait with 'baited breath' for Frontier to say something (ANYTHING) about what is coming. I remember seeing this video from PoE devs on the frequency of updates and the impact on player retention. Despite being a different genre I see the same risks for ED too, compounded further by the lack of communication to the player base.

Maybe I am the exception feeling this way? While I certainly will not say I will never return, I also see no reason to return. None at all. If the speculation of the next update being space legs is true too then I am even less excited about the future of ED. Game needs content not legs, but I digress... conversations seem stagnant on the forums as there is nothing really to discuss these days (outside of cheaters it seems), friends have all stopped playing etc.. nothing to really look forward to to get me back in the cockpit, and I really want to get back in. I've already taken a reasonable break from the game this year, so for me its definitely not burnout. Maybe its just the end of the road for me, being I have got a few thousand hours into the game I am far from bitter about any of this, but regardless still clamor for more as I don't want the ED experience to end.

AD
The wait is very long so it will only worth if we get atmospheric planets and legs. If they lose time developing something else that no one asked they can close the franchise I will not care anymore. And no you can't haz my stuff because I will use them with some other game!

My Two Credits:

No, probably not worth the wait, if you're prone to getting hyped. No Man's Sky cured me of that. I'm super stoked at what it has become, mind you, but that first year was...something.

Anyways, I view games like Elite a certain way: they serve a specific purpose. For me, Elite is a badass space flight simulator that I really wished supported VR on the PS4. There just isn't another simulator like it on console, and I'd argue the same for PC. I don't have a gaming rig anymore, but if Elite were to be substantially upgraded, like some folks think it will be in 2020, it's the kind of game I'd invest in a PC for. I don't think that will happen - but that's ok, I love it on console.

Elite isn't 'my main game' - I don't really have one these days. I remember playing WoW for years, and EVE Online, too during those years. I was a GM in one and a CEO in the other of over fifty players each. I kinda sorta wished Elite could be 'my main game' but it doesn't have enough meat on its bones to be that. Honestly, most games these days don't. EVE still does for certain folks, just like the FPS multiplayer titles do for other folks.

Instead, I pop into Elite regularly to goof around and slowly grind out my last Elite rank (combat, of course) and wait for its next features that may or may not be interesting to me. I think the mining update was great - but I don't mine and really don't want to. I mined for years in EVE...lol...so the whole 'peaceful chewing of rocks' just isn't my schtick anymore. That doesn't make it a bad feature, it just highlights that it isn't enough to engage a commander like me.

I like roleplaying a bit, and space legs is something I'd like - but I know from Monoclegate over on EVE Online that many players (the majority) don't actually know what they want when they ask for space legs, or understand that what they'll likely get won't be what they want. Which is too bad, because it's a cool feature but also a typically highly limited one, too. Atmosphere is a must, in my opinion, because it's a flight simulator for goodness sake. I'd say I'm worried Frontier is going to stumble on the same steps most developers do - adding features that don't tie together, and thus creating an incomplete experience that isn't enjoyable - but I remind myself that, yeah, most developers stumble on those same steps. It's just the business.

I wanted to be crazy angry at Bungie when they launched Destiny and I finished it in just a few weeks. I was like, "really? that's it!?"...but that's game development. It was a great game and it had lots of life in it...for certain players. Elite, I think, is hitting that maturation stage where Frontier needs to ask the hard question of who the commanders are that will stay and support the game (not with playing, but paying) and who is just enjoying the ride before going somewhere else. You can please both, mind you, but both require specific feature strategies as well as specific sales strategies.

Between now and 2020, it seems Frontier is trying to fix the new player stream...but if the 2020 update is far enough out, that player stream will die out before it arrives and thus defeat the point of creating the features built to support them to begin with. Players are notorious about not returning to a game once they leave it. There is simply too many other titles to play today. Elite has an advantage in being one of the few well-built simulators out there but that, too, is a one-trick pony eventually. And several years later, I'd say it's safe to say we're at that point.

I look forward to 2020, and I do think there will be something worth coming back to. Will it have been worth the wait? No, not likely. Any update that takes years to arrive is indicative of a game that launched premature. When you extend the wait time so far, the hype quickly becomes toxic and elevates expectations to unattainable heights. If Elite launches atmosphere or space legs, both will probably be fun to play - and sorely lacking when compared to years of waiting. It's not fair to the developers - but that's the business.

That's why silence is golden - gamers hate it, but it works.

Ask Hello Games. NMS was 'dead on arrival' they all said, myself included...silence and hard work has led to one of the greatest comeback titles, ever. Is it the 'best game ever' - no, of course not. Not even close. But it IS a successful game that HAS delivered on expectations, just not in the timeframe Sean was dumb enough to utter. Now, every update to NMS is treated like an unexpected birthday surprise.

Because that's what they are: unexpected surprises.
The announcement for 2020 has made this impossible - no, it is an expected surprise. That's an oxymoron.
No wonder they never turn out how we hope.

I don't like KFC, and the last few years have seen nothing on the menu I liked. I am scared that they will continue to work with the same ethos. I hope they have amazing food next year, but I am not too sure. Maybe I won't like it. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that I am wrong!

Oh wait, I don't. I just don't eat there. KFC will survive. I will survive.
Heathen!

My Two Credits:

No, probably not worth the wait, if you're prone to getting hyped. No Man's Sky cured me of that. I'm super stoked at what it has become, mind you, but that first year was...something.

Anyways, I view games like Elite a certain way: they serve a specific purpose. For me, Elite is a badass space flight simulator that I really wished supported VR on the PS4. There just isn't another simulator like it on console, and I'd argue the same for PC. I don't have a gaming rig anymore, but if Elite were to be substantially upgraded, like some folks think it will be in 2020, it's the kind of game I'd invest in a PC for. I don't think that will happen - but that's ok, I love it on console.

Elite isn't 'my main game' - I don't really have one these days. I remember playing WoW for years, and EVE Online, too during those years. I was a GM in one and a CEO in the other of over fifty players each. I kinda sorta wished Elite could be 'my main game' but it doesn't have enough meat on its bones to be that. Honestly, most games these days don't. EVE still does for certain folks, just like the FPS multiplayer titles do for other folks.

Instead, I pop into Elite regularly to goof around and slowly grind out my last Elite rank (combat, of course) and wait for its next features that may or may not be interesting to me. I think the mining update was great - but I don't mine and really don't want to. I mined for years in EVE...lol...so the whole 'peaceful chewing of rocks' just isn't my schtick anymore. That doesn't make it a bad feature, it just highlights that it isn't enough to engage a commander like me.

I like roleplaying a bit, and space legs is something I'd like - but I know from Monoclegate over on EVE Online that many players (the majority) don't actually know what they want when they ask for space legs, or understand that what they'll likely get won't be what they want. Which is too bad, because it's a cool feature but also a typically highly limited one, too. Atmosphere is a must, in my opinion, because it's a flight simulator for goodness sake. I'd say I'm worried Frontier is going to stumble on the same steps most developers do - adding features that don't tie together, and thus creating an incomplete experience that isn't enjoyable - but I remind myself that, yeah, most developers stumble on those same steps. It's just the business.

I wanted to be crazy angry at Bungie when they launched Destiny and I finished it in just a few weeks. I was like, "really? that's it!?"...but that's game development. It was a great game and it had lots of life in it...for certain players. Elite, I think, is hitting that maturation stage where Frontier needs to ask the hard question of who the commanders are that will stay and support the game (not with playing, but paying) and who is just enjoying the ride before going somewhere else. You can please both, mind you, but both require specific feature strategies as well as specific sales strategies.

Between now and 2020, it seems Frontier is trying to fix the new player stream...but if the 2020 update is far enough out, that player stream will die out before it arrives and thus defeat the point of creating the features built to support them to begin with. Players are notorious about not returning to a game once they leave it. There is simply too many other titles to play today. Elite has an advantage in being one of the few well-built simulators out there but that, too, is a one-trick pony eventually. And several years later, I'd say it's safe to say we're at that point.

I look forward to 2020, and I do think there will be something worth coming back to. Will it have been worth the wait? No, not likely. Any update that takes years to arrive is indicative of a game that launched premature. When you extend the wait time so far, the hype quickly becomes toxic and elevates expectations to unattainable heights. If Elite launches atmosphere or space legs, both will probably be fun to play - and sorely lacking when compared to years of waiting. It's not fair to the developers - but that's the business.

That's why silence is golden - gamers hate it, but it works.

Ask Hello Games. NMS was 'dead on arrival' they all said, myself included...silence and hard work has led to one of the greatest comeback titles, ever. Is it the 'best game ever' - no, of course not. Not even close. But it IS a successful game that HAS delivered on expectations, just not in the timeframe Sean was dumb enough to utter. Now, every update to NMS is treated like an unexpected birthday surprise.

Because that's what they are: unexpected surprises.
The announcement for 2020 has made this impossible - no, it is an expected surprise. That's an oxymoron.
No wonder they never turn out how we hope.
I wish I could like your post twice.
+2 (y)

I completely agree.

Never get your hopes up with Fdev.

I expect it will be ‘okay’, assuming they don’t break something in a hilarious, but unintentional manner.

I’ll still be playing, but I’m gonna set the bar extra low to avoid being overly disappointed.

Top Bottom