2020: Do you think its going to be worth the wait?

I don't "wait for the 2020 update", I just play ED when I feel like it, and play something else when I don't. If the game weren't good enough for my time, I wouldn't stick with it in the vain hope that it might become better and retroactively make the time I had already wasted in it somehow better.

ED can last me a lifetime in its current form since there can't be anything else like it. And at some point the next update might drop and I'll play that when I feel like it and wont when I don't.

Last edited:
The Galaxy at the moment desperately needs a rehash and the game ultimately needs network investment to sustain it to 2020. The problem is that there have been too many server dropouts of late and too few players that are instancing in the same system. It would be fantastic to have 100+ players interacting and swarming a planet rather than thargoid swarms. I know FD have limited resources, but the trend is that they seem to hold on to faulty old codes, than do healthy code rewrites. Break the Milky way, fix the AllSpak cube (for supreme beings sake), and if the model is any good, then the milky way should theoretically be the same when reformed. At the very least, let us travel to the Andromeda Galaxy.

To answer the OP's question, it will be worth the wait if the features and enhancements are competitively on par with technology that will be around 2020 - with no dilution for high spec'd systems when supporting older machines and consoles. I personally do hope for the best and would love atmospheric landings that will blow our minds.

Im always optimistic with the knowledge that making games is hard and making this game is even harder, especially as they're developing it on the fly and they dont have the advantage of previous iterations to fall back on. In that respect, Elite is pretty unique amongst games of it's size, scope and what's been attempted. Mistakes? Plenty, but hey ho, that's game development and they have time to look at that they've done and where necessary make changes and improve it. Imagine if GTAV was the first version of the game Rockstar made and it had to be playable for the base release right up to what we now perceive as the released version. Chances are it would be pretty ugly at times too.

If we take it that they started full development in about July of last year it gives them 2 years of dev time, maybe 2.5 years if the release is closer to December 2020. I'd guess a fair degree of work was done before the announcement in terms of prototyping, pre-production etc., (at what point full production starts varies from company to company) but either way they've had a really good run at this update, not accounting for running into problems as games invariably do.

I'm sure whatever it is will be a massive improvement on what's already in the game and Im looking forward to it. I'm fine with Space Legs or Atmospheric Planets. I'd be intrigued to see base building depending on how they choose to implement it.

Not waiting for an update here.
FD managed to lose all my ED playing friends after 3.x patches. Plus finally myself, I guess I am the slow one in my group!

Now it's just watching with a morbid sense of detachment as this slow motion car crash unfolds. Shame we can't roll back to 2.4.... wanders off...

I'm in the same boat.
I got 2000 hours in this, unlocked all engineers to level 5, got billions sitting in my account, what this game needs it content, something to engage players. BGS isn't content, sorry. Thargoids could have been so much more, but i guess that ship has sailed. 200 billion star systems, plenty of room to add actual content, something for the players to do... yet here we are, talking why we are leaving the game.
Last content update was December 2018, next one will be "late" 2020. That's 2 years of nothing, really. Looking at other MMOs, they release fresh content every few months. Elite however doesn't get anything really. Mission board has been gimped to avoid board hopping, the text walls on the mission board are not content, doesn't matter what's written there, and unless one puts on some Roleplay, this game has pretty much run its course.
An even sader part is, that this game pretty much requires a Netflix account to bridge the boring loops with entertainment. I'm talking long distance travel, endless (unnecessary long) SC times, hunting for HGE etc. In the beginning it's interesting and new, when you're doing that for 3 hours because you need the mats then it's just mind numbing and dull.

I really love the game, but I think the spark has fizzled for many of us and people are moving on. They want entertainment, which the game with its static nature just doesn't provide. People have been able to look past it, and focus on the non-static parts, but eventually that novelty has worn off, and all that's left is the static bits.
ED has a lot of content, heck it has one of the biggest game worlds ever created. So the quantity of content isn't the problem, but the quality of the content. Elite lacks exciting (I mean really exciting, not FDev live-stream exciting) content. As you describend most is too static and predictable.

@Topic: Looking back at the development so far, I find the most engaging thing ED offered was the whole mystery thing, that was actually played more on the forums than in the game. That was really exciting, everything else was rather disappointing to me, because it felt and was unfinished.

I expect it to be pretty but lacking on the gameplay side, as most of ED updates have been. I'll have fun with it for a little while till the lack of quality gameplay pushes me away.

This is fine. I have a LEP, so if it delivers some extra 6-12h of fun it's a win.

Cautiously pessimistic :)

Not waiting for an update here.
FD managed to lose all my ED playing friends after 3.x patches. Plus finally myself, I guess I am the slow one in my group!

Now it's just watching with a morbid sense of detachment as this slow motion car crash unfolds. Shame we can't roll back to 2.4.... wanders off...
What slow car crash is that?

Don't know, don't care. FD has their hits and misses. The game isn't everything I want it to be, but no game is. Will the 2020 update be a great hit, or a horrid miss? No idea. Will I still be occasionally playing the game? Am now, but the breaks I take off from the game are getting longer. I've played maybe 4 of the last 12 months I think.

If that new Rebel Galaxy Outlaw game turns out to capture my imagination better (and eventually isn't locked to the Epic "store"), then I may miss the 2020 update altogether given the lack of anything resembling news about it. But--who knows--if the 2020 update is absolutely fabulous, I'm sure I'll be right back playing full time again.

Going on the fact it's most likley the same people designing 2020's "big update" as were behind the rather long list of questionable and half-baked designs we've seen over the past 2-3yrs, I really can't help but suspect we're going to get another confused half-baked development.

And even if we take the more recent Mining 2.0 release, even that feels confused and unbalanced, so even that leads me to that conclusion too.

So while I've love to hope next year we'll see some truly technically impressive, bar raising design and development, I'd have to ask why would the ethose change from the past 2-3yrs? Fingers crossed I'm proved wrong...

So while I've love to hope next year we'll see some truly technically impressive, bar raising design and development, I'd have to ask why would the ethose change from the past 2-3yrs? Fingers crossed I'm proved wrong...
I don't like KFC, and the last few years have seen nothing on the menu I liked. I am scared that they will continue to work with the same ethos. I hope they have amazing food next year, but I am not too sure. Maybe I won't like it. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that I am wrong!

Oh wait, I don't. I just don't eat there. KFC will survive. I will survive.

I don't like KFC, and the last few years have seen nothing on the menu I liked. I am scared that they will continue to work with the same ethos. I hope they have amazing food next year, but I am not too sure. Maybe I won't like it. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that I am wrong!

Oh wait, I don't. I just don't eat there. KFC will survive. I will survive. There is no reason to be anxious on the KFC forum, or share the news about how I suspect I wont like something on the KFC menu more than a year away from now.
Possibly, but if KFC keeps needlessly dishing out half-baked food, you can but hope one day they sort out their processes, and thus improve? Fingers crossed hey!?

In short, maybe FD can give us bar raising developments more akin to Wings and planetary landings, than stuff like Multicrew, Generation Ships and luke warm paper thin hostile alien invasions?

That's your opinion, one I do not share as I very much welcome legs. I also believe that legs will add content by necessity.
It better have some solid content included when or if they introduce space legs.
Just being able to walk around in your ship will just deliver a short oooh and aaah period but that wears out quite fast, being able to shoot some stuff in fps mode won't cut it either imho, ED is just not that kinda game to add a fps minigame to.
All my personal opinion of course but it is the way I see it.

And base building? I couldn't even think of where Fdev would go with that.
If it turns out to be Fleetcarriers that you can expand and upgrade yes but actual building on planets? NMS 2.0 anyone?

It's all a mystery untill Fdev finally decides to lift the curtain I guess.
Using Fdev's previous updates as reference it'll be loaded with a whole new range of bugs though.

It better have some solid content included when or if they introduce space legs.
I'd argue there's still plenty of opportunities left in the core game for "solid content" before we open up a whole new game mode to risk bolting (more) shallow gameplay onto. I'd suggest too much of the developments over the past 2-3yrs have been rather shallow and questionable in design/nature/outcome.

And base building? I couldn't even think of where Fdev would go with that.
Yes base building sounds odd! For what purpose/outcome/gain? And I can just imagine with the current instancing the fun and games of having people in/around your base you can't even see :)

Top Bottom