200 credits bounty, 250M credits punishment

Not necessarily. Maybe they welcomed him having no information on his wanted status. At the same time a cop who had already been scanning him for some time discovered that he was wanted, while the station was still chanting that confusing welcome message.
The station actually told him that they revoked his docking rights. He couldn't see it because he wasn't in-game. You can see the station chatter in the logs he posted above.

Well, in the end
The station actually told him that they revoked his docking rights. He couldn't see it because he wasn't in-game. You can see the station chatter in the logs he posted above.
I was in the game, I alt-tabbed back the second I heard the warning and the music changing.
But it is irrelevant whether I was in-game or not paying attention. The scan happened as my ship was entering the station, the ship was inside the station when they starting shooting at it. I never had time to turn around and GTFO, I was dead in four seconds.

19:44:23 - Docking request was granted
19:45:16 - Scanned for cargo (my ship was in the station entry point, going in)
19:45:16 - "You are wanted in this sector. Engaging."
19:45:16 - Docking denied
19:45:16 - Matthews City becomes hostile
19:45:16 - "Submit to justice, criminal."
19:45:23 - Station started shooting, as I was trying to maneuver my ship around
19:45:27 - Killed by Federal Security Service (Deadly Viper)

The first irony: Federation sees me as ally.
The second irony: This was my first ever bounty: 200 credits.

All things considered, it doesn't matter how much I lost, screw it, I'll take my Dolphin out again and explore some more, make more credits, no problem there. The takeaway here is (aside learning how to deal with this game mechanic) is the fact that is, hands down, bad design.

so you fired upon a station, then proceeded to attempt to dock at a station owned by that faction?

you were wanted. more than just owing a simple fine. if you went to a station where you were not wanted this would not have happened.

to provide a better analogy than your paper littering false equivalence...

'while attempting to hack into a secure facility you instead discharged a laser blast setting off alarms and labeling you a wanted criminal. you then stroll into the main port of entry to "pay a fine" whereby you are identified and properly disposed of'

OP, as frustrating as it can all be, you probably need to take a slight step back and have a think about things.

4. No attempt to enforce payment of the bounty prior to ship destruction.
This doesn't actually make any sense. A bounty is money that's being offered as a reward for your death. In what way could there be an attempt to enforce payment of the bounty prior to ship destruction? - without your ship's destruction, then no one has done what's needed to claim the bounty.

There seems to be a misconception there that's coming up in other places.

See, that's issue #1: a 200 credit bounty should never ever be reason for ship destruction.
A bounty is always a reason for ship destruction. That is literally what a bounty is. - it is a faction saying 'we are offering x amount of credits as a reward to anyone who 'kills' such and such a cmdr.'

They outright headshot me without warning while I was coming to pay my due.
If there's a price on your head, you can't just turn up to the faction who put the price on your head and pay them the money - they're not asking for money. They are saying they want you killed, and will pay a certain amount of money to whoever does it.

This is why I'm saying you need to have a step back and think about things - because you seem to be expecting that the game should not treat a bounty as a bounty. 'game treated a bounty as a bounty' is not really a legitimate gripe. The big question really is why did you think a bounty wouldn't be treated as a bounty.

Most of what happened to you really stems from that one point. If you were expecting a bounty to be treated as a bounty, would you still have gone and tried to dock normally at a station where the bounty was valid?

Not sure what's happened to leave you with the misconception about the nature of bounties. As far as I can recall (and have been able to double check) bounties have always been bounties, so this isn't something to do with something that had changed while you were away from the game.

As for the loss of all the exploration data - well... what made you think doing other stuff before going and handing in the exploration data was a good idea? The more you do before handing it in, the more risk you have of losing it. It's always been thus, and always will (barring a change by FD so that exploration data survives death).

If you don't want the same thing to happen again, then the best thing you can do is look at it all, understand what it was you did personally that contributed to the situation, and work out what you could do differently in future.

Plenty of salient advice from other cmdrs already to help you with that. Best of luck!

Well, in the end

I was in the game, I alt-tabbed back the second I heard the warning and the music changing.
But it is irrelevant whether I was in-game or not paying attention. The scan happened as my ship was entering the station, the ship was inside the station when they starting shooting at it. I never had time to turn around and GTFO, I was dead in four seconds.

19:44:23 - Docking request was granted
19:45:16 - Scanned for cargo (my ship was in the station entry point, going in)
19:45:16 - "You are wanted in this sector. Engaging."
19:45:16 - Docking denied
19:45:16 - Matthews City becomes hostile
19:45:16 - "Submit to justice, criminal."
19:45:23 - Station started shooting, as I was trying to maneuver my ship around
19:45:27 - Killed by Federal Security Service (Deadly Viper)

The first irony: Federation sees me as ally.
The second irony: This was my first ever bounty: 200 credits.

All things considered, it doesn't matter how much I lost, screw it, I'll take my Dolphin out again and explore some more, make more credits, no problem there. The takeaway here is (aside learning how to deal with this game mechanic) is the fact that is, hands down, bad design.
Usually once you are inside the station security can no longer scan you. I also don't understand how a Viper managed to kill you inside the station. I guess you had bad luck on top of your bad decisions.

Usually once you are inside the station security can no longer scan you. I also don't understand how a Viper managed to kill you inside the station. I guess you had bad luck on top of your bad decisions.
The viper would simply have been the ship that dealt the final blow, the station would have already done the donkey work.

I often get scanned right as I enter/exit the station. I'm literally in the doorway and hear "scan detected".

A bounty is money that's being offered as a reward for your death. In what way could there be an attempt to enforce payment of the bounty prior to ship destruction? - without your ship's destruction, then no one has done what's needed to claim the bounty.
1. Those cowboy movies... where criminals had bounties on their heads... to be brought "dead or alive". Claiming a bounty does not mandate the criminal to be dead.
2. If a bounty could only be claimed through death, then it would be impossible for the criminal to pay it.

A bounty is always a reason for ship destruction.

If there's a price on your head, you can't just turn up to the faction who put the price on your head and pay them the money - they're not asking for money. They are saying they want you killed, and will pay a certain amount of money to whoever does it.
And this is exactly the game mechanic I am disputing here, thank you.

This is why I'm saying you need to have a step back and think about things - because you seem to be expecting that the game should not treat a bounty as a bounty. 'game treated a bounty as a bounty' is not really a legitimate gripe. The big question really is why did you think a bounty wouldn't be treated as a bounty.
Because bounties do not necessarily involve killing the criminal. Especially not if he's your ally. Furthermore, if a bounty is worth less than the ammo spent killing the criminal, it makes no sense to even bother. That is where the game logic breaks down.

As for the loss of all the exploration data - well... what made you think doing other stuff before going and handing in the exploration data was a good idea?
The fact that it worked very well until a poorly-thought game mechanic got in the way :)

If you don't want the same thing to happen again, then the best thing you can do is look at it all, understand what it was you did personally that contributed to the situation, and work out what you could do differently in future.
...and in the meantime expose a shallowly-developed game mechanic that should be changed to make more sense and better fit with logic.

You all got used to it and treat it like it being normal. Then someone from the outside comes along, gets hit by it and realizes it's stupid. However, older players have this defective game mechanic so ingrained in their way of playing that they dismiss the fresh pair of eyes as belonging to a noob who doesn't know any better. And so nobody is trying to better the game in this area, the same game mechanic remains and its only effect is being a trap for newbies.

Please note I am not trying to make this game mechanic go away, however I'm stating it has to be reworked in such a way that makes sense to everyone, which is:
  • Be less cryptic ("Anonymous access" is not, by far, a clear message)
  • Be more informative ("you have a bounty of X on your head, it mandates you be killed, pay it at a low security station")
  • Not allow docking in stations belonging to the entity that put a bounty on your head, or at least mark the station with a certain color (red would look nice, don't you think?)
  • Scale with bounty size (high bounty prompts immediate fire, low bounty has a delay of X seconds)
and so on.

Does security follow you through the letterbox?
They can deal the final blow and momentum will take you the rest of the way through. I dare say as long as they can see you they can shoot you...

In any case, even if the viper hadn't fired the last shot the results would have been the same, but the station would have used it's god rays instead.

They can deal the final blow and momentum will take you the rest of the way through. I dare say as long as they can see you they can shoot you...

In any case, even if the viper hadn't fired the last shot the results would have been the same, but the station would have used it's god rays instead.
It's like I said, bad luck on top of bad decisions. If the scan would've started a second later he would still be alive. We would now read a rant about being transported to the next detention center though.

1. Those cowboy movies... where criminals had bounties on their heads... to be brought "dead or alive". Claiming a bounty does not mandate the criminal to be dead.
It does in elite.
Well not really, since we never die in Elite but it mandates ship destruction.
In the cowboy analogy you are the criminal who complains that his horse got shot.

understand scans at a station.

security ships do not have kill warrant scanners, they have manifest scanners. so when you hear 'scan detected' that has nothing to do with whether you have fines/bounties in other jurisdictions.

the reason you were detected was because a passive scan is all that is needed to determine local wanted status. you will not be notified of this taking place as all that is required is to target a ship and point in its general direction and complete the 3 levels of a passive scan: ID, health, status.

Last edited:
OP: yep, the game's crime and punishment mechanic is messed up. And, aside from all the cute "it's your fault" replies from the fanbase, the only possible mistake you made is making this post and expecting rational replies! :)

FDev should have got the message a loooong time ago that so many things are out of balance just like this. But here (we) are. It hasn't changed.

The issue is carting around 250M in data here. If you were ganked on your way back in or something, I would be totally sympathetic (others might not, but losing a lot of progress for what's really no good reason is always sad).
But that's not what happened. You did the equivalent of carrying all of your money in cash, then dropping your wallet.

Just redeem the data ASAP. It prevents this happening.

The issue is carting around 250M in data here. If you were ganked on your way back in or something, I would be totally sympathetic (others might not, but losing a lot of progress for what's really no good reason is always sad).
But that's not what happened. You did the equivalent of carrying all of your money in cash, then dropping your wallet.

Just redeem the data ASAP. It prevents this happening.
And to my point. It's your fault OP. You shouldn't play the game the way you want. It's your fault. Game is perfect. There's nothing wrong with the punishment system. /sarcasm

And to my point. It's your fault OP. You shouldn't play the game the way you want. It's your fault. Game is perfect. There's nothing wrong with the punishment system. /sarcasm
Please highlight the point in my post where I stated that Elite Dangerous, a game that only barely creeps into my list of 'good games', is perfect.

Perhaps it's with the post itself where you simply blame the player maybe? IDK...
I'm sorry, but the player wouldn't care so much if they hadn't lost all their money. The root cause of losing the money is not having cashed it in.

C&P is dumb, but tolerable if you don't, y'know, carry all your money in a fashion that makes it losable. If the OP hadn't died to this dumb system, and STILL hadn't paid their exploration data in, then they'd have lost the money some other way and complained then.

My proposal to fix the issue iss that it is made blatantly clear you're wanted at a station by way of making it appear somehow hostile on your radar prior to approach.

Top Bottom