Single carriage coasters have poor embarking time : guest ratio

Thread: Single carriage coasters have poor embarking time : guest ratio

Single carriage coasters have poor embarking time : guest ratio

A gameplay artefact I've noticed is that coasters (and track rides) that only embark single carriages at a time tend to have long, slow queues, since they spend nearly the same time embarking at the station as another coaster with many times the capacity.

I think these coasters in particular could benefit from performing the disembark and embark steps at the same time. Since it's only one carriage, I wouldn't have thought congestion at the station would be a problem?

This was mentioned several times before.
    The exit on the other side of the entrance doesn't help (even this is supposed to speed it up in real life)

My whishes (for a QOL update) are...

1. (all rides with inner station lines) Let more guests enter the inner station lines (2 or 3 train loads)

1.1. Let guests enter the loading zone as soon as the train is empty (for entry -> exit->)

1.2. allow separate load and unload areas in longer stations (needed for entry -> exit <-)

2. (other stations) allow to unload at first stop in station (yes, line up empty cars in station)

2.1. guests can enter front cars immediatly when cars already empty

2.2. allow separate load and unload areas in longer stations

2.3. allow endless car loop (for dark rides) without stopping in station

3. new round stations for log flumes / river rapids (load/unload on the fly)

3.1. load/unload on the fly for log flume standard station

My suggestion was intended to be simple and effective, and lay down precise unambiguous constraints for what should be changed.

That said, all of those changes you mentioned would definitely be nice, not to mention realistic, if the devs are reasonably able to implement them.

Offload stations or indeed a similar mechanic is something I suggested fairly recently and the response I got was that Frontier have previously stated that this would be complex to implement into the game. However, after conquering a lot of additions which were previously deemed complex or even impossible (eg. user triggers), we can only hope that one day, taking into account the massive amount of enthusiasm for this from the community, they could somehow pull this off! It WOULD be a great addition, especially to help with throughput on single-carriage rides.
    "Well we went through quite a lot of names and I thought seeing as musically I wanted to swing through the jungle bearing my arse, I just thought Gorillaz would be the perfect name."
    (Murdoc Niccals - Gorillaz)

A station dedicated to offloading I'd imagine would be complex, but for stations to selectively load and offload at the same time I'd imagine would be trivial. If that is non-trivial, then I think Planet Coaster's development team could really do with a discussion about their programming architecture.

At the end of the day, the cost of not solving this problem is all the single carriage coasters will not get used by anyone who realises the queue congestion problems they cause, and that would be a real shame.

Originally Posted by Venima View Post (Source)
    A station dedicated to offloading I'd imagine would be complex, but for stations to selectively load and offload at the same time I'd imagine would be trivial. If that is non-trivial, then I think Planet Coaster's development team could really do with a discussion about their programming architecture.

At the end of the day, the cost of not solving this problem is all the single carriage coasters will not get used by anyone who realises the queue congestion problems they cause, and that would be a real shame.
    An average coaster in Planet Coaster takes between 15 and 20 seconds to fully unload and load depending on the size of the train. That is very fast, even for single carriage coasters.

I like to run my coasters in block mode. Because it takes roughly 15-20 seconds to go up a lifthill there's no need on my side for faster loading and unloading times because it still has to wait for the block to open up.

Now for visual reasons I would like seperate loading and unloading times.

But this is discussed over and over from day 1 release, and never has anything changed, that makes me think the devs are pretty content with what there is now.

Originally Posted by Luuknoord View Post (Source)
    An average coaster in Planet Coaster takes between 15 and 20 seconds to fully unload and load depending on the size of the train. That is very fast, even for single carriage coasters.

I like to run my coasters in block mode. Because it takes roughly 15-20 seconds to go up a lifthill there's no need on my side for faster loading and unloading times because it still has to wait for the block to open up.

Now for visual reasons I would like seperate loading and unloading times.

But this is discussed over and over from day 1 release, and never has anything changed, that makes me think the devs are pretty content with what there is now.
    On Coasters it really is not a Problem, it is annoying yes, because it looks stupid to let people wait for no reason. On Tracked Rides though it is a real drag on the System like described above. Two Stations would help immensely. I have seen loads of those "Luna Auto" Type Attractions with a separate Unload Station. I can't see why we can't have that in Planet Coaster. Well it might be a complicated Thing to program (no clue) but it would be a big big Quality of Live improvement.
    Forum Sillyness:

-

Crowdy's Workshop
    twitter: @crowdy1980, YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Padernoster

I don't know if it's because of where I live, but all of the theme park track rides I've been on load and unload at the same time. Aesthetically for me, this is more pleasing; it feels efficient. Usually this takes place because you enter on one side and exit on the other, but I've seen a lot more inventive ways of doing it.

Regarding single-carriage coasters, I understand it might not make a difference if you use block sections, but if you don't use block sections then it still has an impact (to the degree that you might as well use block sections), as far as I've experienced.

If you look at it from a similution game aspect, you can easily argue that low throughput rides are a choice you make that can effect peep happiness and income. In a game that is still relatively easy to make money, making track rides and single car coasters turn over even faster will make the game even easier. Just like you have the choice of placing entrance and exit gates in the worst possible locations or the best to help maximize throughput.

Agreed but on single car tracked rides like the Huntsman, surely you'd expect there to be roughly a 10 second gap between the cars. I know this is usually if the cars move slowly through the station but that is usually how efficient a ride like that should be.
    "Well we went through quite a lot of names and I thought seeing as musically I wanted to swing through the jungle bearing my arse, I just thought Gorillaz would be the perfect name."
    (Murdoc Niccals - Gorillaz)

Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post (Source)
    Agreed but on single car tracked rides like the Huntsman, surely you'd expect there to be roughly a 10 second gap between the cars. I know this is usually if the cars move slowly through the station but that is usually how efficient a ride like that should be.
    Yes, I agree, | didn't mention them though as this thread is about single carriage coasters.

Yes, I agree, | didn't mention them though as this thread is about single carriage coasters.
    I said coasters for simplicity's sake, not to exclude track rides from the discussion.

Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post (Source)
    If you look at it from a similution game aspect, you can easily argue that low throughput rides are a choice you make that can effect peep happiness and income. In a game that is still relatively easy to make money, making track rides and single car coasters turn over even faster will make the game even easier. Just like you have the choice of placing entrance and exit gates in the worst possible locations or the best to help maximize throughput.
    You know what, I'd wager the success of your park is directly correlated to how many train-coasters you have in it; they seem to be money-making machines, while everything else has a mediocre income. This is an observation I've made, though I could be wrong given I still have more to learn from the game.

My parks are paid entry, free rides. So, I am not bothered by "low" throughput of track rides or single car coasters.

You know what, I'd wager the success of your park is directly correlated to how many train-coasters you have in it; they seem to be money-making machines, while everything else has a mediocre income. This is an observation I've made, though I could be wrong given I still have more to learn from the game.
    There's something off in the formulas for how prestigious and how costly tracked rides like the Huntsman are. With decent scenery it's not hard to get to prestige in the 1100's or higher, allowing you to charge up to $30 a ticket for them. When I put in Diagon Alley, I had one coaster, one junior coaster and one tracked ride (The Weasely Wizarding Weezes Factory Tour). The W3 Tour was consistently a full queue and hands down the biggest money maker in the park. To get people to skip it and head back to one of the coasters I had to practically run my coasters at a loss just to entice peeps to come that way.

Now, when I switched to being a paid admission, free ride park, people spread out more.

As for the load/ unload....

It looks to me like Frontier wrote their core engine to have that formula "Train comes in/ Train empties/ train loads/ Train leaves" to be the basic core for all rides that take people on. You can see it with the tracked rides, the coasters and the transport rides. They all use the same basic bits. I think any change to that, such as simul load/ unload or seperate load/unload stations would require them to go all the way back to that basic design piece and try to re-engineer that.

What I think would be easier to implement is to have multiple trains in the station at once that then spread out when released so that you can load and unload 2-4 "trains" and then send them out either a) when the first train clears the lift hill or b) when a certain time has passed.

My parks are paid entry, free rides. So, I am not bothered by "low" throughput of track rides or single car coasters.
    Off-topic, but when I tried a park like that, I ended up losing money fast cause peeps weren't leaving too frequently. Any advice on that?

Off-topic, but when I tried a park like that, I ended up losing money fast cause peeps weren't leaving too frequently. Any advice on that?
    Don't close your park.

If there's one thing I'd like to see them do is to speed up the guest walking when they exit. They are SO slow! They're so excited to run into the station/on the ride yet when they get off the ride and exit they act like they're bored out of their minds Having them run out of the station would improve board times.

Don't close your park.
    Just to add to this, the reason you don't want to close your park is because it resets the guests and they'll stay in your park 2-3 hours depending on its size. So you'll be waiting a LONG time for just 1 guest to leave to make room for new arrivals. That's why it's best to keep your park open and let it naturally balance itself out so you have guests arriving/leaving at a more consistent rate.

If you DO need $$ bad, instead of closing down the park, just close down the rides (no refund penalty). Speed up the time and your guests will leave, many shopping at stalls before they go. Open the rides back up and you'll get an injection of fresh new guests & cash. If you're still finding that you're losing too much money, you need to look into maximizing profits with stalls, shaving down some staff if possible, adding more flat rides instead of coasters(they have high opp costs-but also look at flat ride costs too, some are high as well) and sometimes adding more scenery to improve your park rating without adding any high opp costs to your park from rides.

It's essentially a numbers juggle in the end to make sure your opp costs aren't too high relative to the amount of guests that are spawning based on your park rating. It's not always easy and can be difficult but it's rewarding when you work it out.

[QUOTE=cerealfruitcakes;225150]If there's one thing I'd like to see them do is to speed up the guest walking when they exit. They are SO slow! They're so excited to run into the station/on the ride yet when they get off the ride and exit they act like they're bored out of their minds Having them run out of the station would improve board times.

I still think there's a significant divide between single-carriage and train coasters, but I second this; they do take a while to leave the platform.