[1.5.3] Island Adventure's queue doesn't work properly

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Island Adventure's queue doesn't work properly

Island Adventure's queue doesn't work properly

Severity
    Minor

Frequency
    All of the time (100% reproducible)

Area of Game Affected
    Track Rides

Description
    When some guests are staying on the boat while it is dispatching in a station, no one from the queue will enter the boat.

I guess because unlike the other transport rides, Island Adventure has a waiting area on the Station platform, it is treats like a coaster station.

Steps to Reproduce
    Build Island Adventure with multiple stations as a transport ride.

http://i.imgur.com/PYp3UWp.jpg

2. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #2
    Hey headcrash!

Thanks for your report - would you be able to provide me with a blueprint for your Island Adventure please so I can check your Operations settings.

Thanks in advance

4. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #4
    Hey headcrash!

Thanks for providing that!

With transport rides, the best way to think about them is like a bus stop/bus route, guests want to get to their desired location quickest with the least amount of walking. You have two stations for Island Adventure near the entrance of your park, with another near your flat rides - all stations priced differently:
    Station 2 ($0.00) - Station shown in video (gets full queue).
    Station 3 ($1.00) - Closest to the flat rides.
    Station 4 ($2.00) - Closest to the entrance of your park.

Guests that get on Island Adventure near your flat rides (Station 3) will essentially be getting on to leave the park. When they arrive at the first station they come to (the one in your video - Station 2) they have no desire to get off as they would have to walk double the distance to the park entrance than if they get off at the next stop (Station 4).

Because you have the two stations near your entrance priced differently, this is causing a 'bottleneck' (of sorts) with your guests queuing. The station in your video (Station 2) is free where as the one closest to your park entrance costs $2.00 (Station 4). You'd also go to the free station over the one that charges you, right? This is why you get the queue for this station full, whilst the queue for Station 4 practically empty. The best way to observe this is to close your park, let all guests leave and then reopen it. You can see they will go to Station 4 (because it's closest), walk away from the ticket booth and head to Station 2. Once your guests enter the queue, they won't leave unless they've been on the ride or you close the ride.

However, if you change it so they're all free, guests will populate both stations (2 & 4) queues. I'd also recommend increasing the number of 'cars' to 3 and ensuring each station has 'Don't Block Station' checked. This has got them working perfectly fine for me!

I hope this explains some of the reasoning behind why guests weren't getting on & off at this station! If you want anything else clarifying, please don't hesitate to ask

Thanks for the Reply.

Even if I set the Settings to the default values it causes the problem.

The problem is not they won't leave the boat, but the waiting guests (first Station in the video) can't get on the boat even if there are many free seats.
    On other Transport rides (Train, Monorail) guests fill up the free seats.
    On Adventure Island guests will only enter a completely free boat.

(I guess the last sentence is a better description for the problem)

Same Issue, poeple just not loading onto the ride!

Originally Posted by headcrash View Post (Source)
    Thanks for the Reply.

Even if I set the Settings to the default values it causes the problem.

The problem is not they won't leave the boat, but the waiting guests (first Station in the video) can't get on the boat even if there are many free seats.
    On other Transport rides (Train, Monorail) guests fill up the free seats.
    On Adventure Island guests will only enter a completely free boat.

(I guess the last sentence is a better description for the problem)

Hi,

I have just built my first transportation ride and have the exact same issue.

I have lots of guests waiting to get onto the ride, I have adjusted loads and minimum and maximum wait time but the people waiting to get onto the ride simply stand there without moving even when the entrance gate opens!

I really don't understand what is wrong with it anymore as have tried literally everything i can think of to fix this issue and nothing seems to work.

Could this be a bug?

Thanks

I've also noticed this problem.

It is exactly as you can see in the video made by Head Crash. The guests do not board the boat, although there are free places. Guests only board when there are at least as many seats available as there are people in the queue. For example, if there are 10 free places and 12 people are waiting in the queue, not a single one will get in! That would never happen in a "real" park.

The reason for this has already been explained:
    The waiting area for the boat ride is designed like a roller coaster station. In a roller coaster, however, all passengers get off after the ride and all seats are empty. The problem described above is that the boats sometimes leave passengers seated and want to continue to the next station. The other transport rides (e. g."monorail") have a different waiting area. There are always as many passengers boarding the train as there are free seats.

8. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #8
    Hey Xul!

The reason for this has already been explained:
    The waiting area for the boat ride is designed like a roller coaster station. In a roller coaster, however, all passengers get off after the ride and all seats are empty. The problem described above is that the boats sometimes leave passengers seated and want to continue to the next station. The other transport rides (e. g."monorail") have a different waiting area. There are always as many passengers boarding the train as there are free seats.
    Can i ask where you got this from?

You can see this in the video. ;-)
    There are two passengers on the boat and no other guests from the waiting area fill up the empty seats on the boat.
    You also can see the railing on the station platform, which is not available on other transport ride stations. ;-)

10. This is the last staff post in this thread. #10
    Hey headcrash!

I get that you can visually see it looks like a roller coaster station, but the way Xul said it made it seem as though this had been stated somewhere. Of course, the boats sometimes leave passengers seated and wanting to continue to the next station. This is how transport rides work - the guests use the transport ride to get to their desired destination as fast as possible - if they pull into a station that would require them to walk a greater distance than the next station (resulting in taking longer to arrive at their destination), they will stay on the ride till the next station. You wouldnt get off at the bus stop before your desired stop would you? :p

With regards to the railing on the station, all rides with water within Track Rides have railing - this is just simple health & safety, we don't want your guests to drown

We are still trying to narrow down why the guests aren't boarding if an appropriate group size can fit in the empty seats, so any further info you may have will be greatly appreciated

Once again, apologies for any frustration caused by this issue!

Originally Posted by QA-Jack View Post (Source)
    Hey Xul!

Can i ask where you got this from?

I was just talking about the statement from headcrash.
    In his message #1 he said "I guess because unlike the other transport rides, Island Adventure has a waiting area on the Station platform, it is treats like a coaster station."

I am glad to hear you are still trying to narrow down why the guests aren't boarding if an appropriate group size. And I am sure you will find a solution!

QAJack - is there a way of making the boats (which are AMAZING btw) rock and to be able to tip sideways a bit when taking corners in the river? Rock and bob in the water as well while speeding along?
    It could add more scares to the ride - I'm not at all complaining - (cough) BEST GAME EVER (cough) - Love this game, many regards G

I understand it is on tracks too - before anyone gets offended (heaven forbid) - just a complicated thought for you DEV's . . .

Originally Posted by Gshot View Post (Source)
    QAJack - is there a way of making the boats (which are AMAZING btw) rock and to be able to tip sideways a bit when taking corners in the river? Rock and bob in the water as well while speeding along?
    It could add more scares to the ride - I'm not at all complaining - (cough) BEST GAME EVER (cough) - Love this game, many regards G

I understand it is on tracks too - before anyone gets offended (heaven forbid) - just a complicated thought for you DEV's . . .
    how is this related to the problem/bug above???

Hi guys,

Just wondering if this bug has been fixed or not, and whether there is a workaround for this problem.
    I'm still experiencing the same problem as the OP, where the guests in the queue would not take a half-filled boat even though there are sufficient spaces for that guest group to hop in.

Thanks.

need savegames?

Originally Posted by QA-Jack View Post (Source)
    We are still trying to narrow down why the guests aren't boarding if an appropriate group size can fit in the empty seats, so any further info you may have will be greatly appreciated

- A way to quickly recreate the problem while debugging: if you have a line where the problem appears, you can close and re-open the station and the boarding will work for just a few boats until they again refuse to board.
    - It seems that it's more likely to appear in a later station than on the first of the line. This could be connected to the bug that when you open a new scenario and pre-build a line, people rush to the latest station (no matter the prices)
    - I never had this problem with a station on an isolated island, so the guests had no choice but to take the line (guests making decisions is probably the core of the bug)
    - I have savegames ;-) You can just fire them up and observe the same. Will provide them if needed.