IMPORTANT: Planet Coaster 1.4 Anniversary Update - Page 11

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Planet Coaster 1.4 Anniversary Update

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast
    Originally Posted by Helena View Post (Source)
    About the prestige, i think it is sad to see the ferris wheel being money loss. I wonder if it is so in real life too or.. hmm.
    Add another ride sequence, you'll get a big boost in prestige/guest count for the ferris wheel. At this point, the only ride I can't get a lot of guests on is the Whirly Rig, no matter the ride sequences.

Adding another ride sequence... or several as some people suggest is not a good fix... i mean yeah it will work i guess.. but its not realistic.. not everyones going to spend say.. an hour of real time, on a tilt a whirl when they go to a amusement park.. which is essentially what you are doing when you are upping the ride sequences.. I really wish people would stop suggesting this and saying the balance isn't an issue. "I can't get people to ride my ferrish wheel they are all at the Invert coaster" Oh thats not a problem.. just add about 5 ride sequences to the ferris wheel.. problem solved... NO it's not. You jsut made the problem worse and basically saying its not a problem.

Peeps and rides behave in real time. Don't confuse that with simulation time.
    It is very realistic that more ride sequences make for a better ride and increases satisfaction.

Originally Posted by xSHADOWx View Post (Source)
    Adding another ride sequence... or several as some people suggest is not a good fix... i mean yeah it will work i guess.. but its not realistic.. not everyones going to spend say.. an hour of real time, on a tilt a whirl when they go to a amusement park.. which is essentially what you are doing when you are upping the ride sequences.. I really wish people would stop suggesting this and saying the balance isn't an issue. "I can't get people to ride my ferrish wheel they are all at the Invert coaster" Oh thats not a problem.. just add about 5 ride sequences to the ferris wheel.. problem solved... NO it's not. You jsut made the problem worse and basically saying its not a problem.
    I said add one ride sequence not 5. Two sequences on the big wheel is 3 minutes long not an hour and you can charge $12 for a nice profit. Ride sequences is part of the gameplay, we're supposed to experiment with it to find the best prestige/profit potential possible. Do you complain every time you have to change the stall/ride prices because they aren't automatically set to the best profitable price it can be?

I also mentioned the whirly rig not being able to attract enough guests no matter the sequences so I did in fact give an actual example of it being unbalanced I just wasn't as dramatic as you wanted me to be about it.

not you specifically.. just this is what i typically see... is this excuse.. just add more sequences... hiding the fact that theres an problem.. doesn't help to fix the problem.. In some parks.. you can have a ride with a prestige so high that it doesn't matter if you add 10 sequences to a flat ride.. they won't ride it.. they flock to the coaster with the high prestige causing traffic jams and a huge problem... this is of course not even to mention the "many guests are thirsty" issue.. I'm saying.. there are problems in the game and i've complained for a year about them and not gotten a single response from frontier about it

Originally Posted by xSHADOWx View Post (Source)
    not you specifically.. just this is what i typically see... is this excuse.. just add more sequences... hiding the fact that theres an problem.. doesn't help to fix the problem.. In some parks.. you can have a ride with a prestige so high that it doesn't matter if you add 10 sequences to a flat ride.. they won't ride it.. they flock to the coaster with the high prestige causing traffic jams and a huge problem... this is of course not even to mention the "many guests are thirsty" issue.. I'm saying.. there are problems in the game and i've complained for a year about them and not gotten a single response from frontier about it
    The game does indeed need some balancing here and there.
    However there are several ways to get things to work.

- add sequences to rides to increase interest
    - make queue lines shorter so peeps don't wait to long in line so they don't get thirsty.

It's a bit of both worlds.

Other aspects might be involved here too. Like, where do you place the rides, which rides are close to each other, which rides work best, what kind of people do you want to attract? Is there a good balance in prestige between the rides?

If you have 10 extreme thrill rides and only the whirly rig, no wonder nobody joins that queue, the park is not interesting enough for a certain kind of peeps (family).

These are all aspects that I believe play a part in how to build your park.

Originally Posted by Edjenoh View Post (Source)
    Challenge park plays exactly like sandbox except that you have to fastforward waiting for your cash come in without any effort on your part whatsoever. There is nothing to manage. You drop down rides, shops and scenery, you get infinite cashflow and that's the game.
    Exactly! And sadly this seems to be a fact, not just an opinion. This was the reason I stopped playing PC. More precisely, because “harder” difficulty becomes very easy after dropping the first few rides/coasters: the challenge is then gone. This is a great game though, and I don’t think it is difficult to fix this. The game itself is much more complex than this balance problem, it’s a pity it’s not addressed. I am looking forward to the management change announcements tomorrow. Maybe this scenario editor opens a way for modders to tweak management related parameters for the “challenge mode” difficulties. If developers don’t want to address this issue, then possibility to mod this would be also fine.

Bo, Would it be possible to add a start of sequence section on the Flat Ride Sequencer, So you can start with effects right from the get go rather than waiting till the start of the first sequence? Can not wait for the update ,Been waiting for a water coaster for so long and it shall be such a versatile addition, BoatRides-Chute the Chutes/Splash Boats,Water Ride Dark Rides and Water Coasters, I all ready have ideas waiting a brewing, Another thing what would be so so sooooo helpful, Free 360 Rotation on all objects like roofs/ walls etc.

Originally Posted by Bitula View Post (Source)
    Exactly! And sadly this seems to be a fact, not just an opinion. This was the reason I stopped playing PC. More precisely, because “harder” difficulty becomes very easy after dropping the first few rides/coasters: the challenge is then gone. This is a great game though, and I don’t think it is difficult to fix this. The game itself is much more complex than this balance problem, it’s a pity it’s not addressed. I am looking forward to the management change announcements tomorrow. Maybe this scenario editor opens a way for modders to tweak management related parameters for the “challenge mode” difficulties. If developers don’t want to address this issue, then possibility to mod this would be also fine.
    Because harder difficulty is nothing else than just unbalanced changes to few stats (starting money, guest flow). The only moment you can feel it is the very beggining. And it´s not even fun, it´s just that you need to start more slowly and wait for cash to roll in. Once you get few rides, it gets back to easy difficulty. It´s that kind of "lazy" design when devs add hard difficulty to the shooter and only thing they change is that enemies take more damage, deal more damage and maybe less ammo throughout the game (with exception the challenge remains more-less the same in the shooter, but PC is actually rolling back to easy difficulty after you some time). If anything, in PC it´s only frustration, not fun. If these core mechanics remanin the same in this game, then I don´t see any reason to add anymore management layers as they will do nothing (maybe become an annoyance just like security did). I hope devs will hear this out, because if not, this game won´t get any better in terms of gameplay. I know it indeed sounds great, when they announce new features being added in the updates, but it´s not good in the long run and we all know it. They are wasting their time, it´s not about features, this game just needs some balancing and engage player more in current features. I forsee the staff management will become something automated after while and will just run in the background without needing real players attention. The question is why even bother adding it then.

Really, personally, I don't care about new features for the moment. The game really needs balancing things. OK, we can add ride sequence to improve interest, but it's not realistic that almost everyone goes to coaster or that almost nobody goes to some flat rides, even with added ride sequence (example whirly rig). The guests are supposed to have different interest and demographic should have more impact. A new ride should be more popular, yes, but the guest interest should have more impact on their decision. Also, the waiting time, the breakdown time,etc. should modify the prestige rate.

Security should be adjusted. Even if I put a lot of security cams and guards, they're always vandalism. Why? Are the guests happy? If yes, vandalism should be very minor, even less if there's some cameras and security guards. If not, what's the point to run well maintained and interesting park?

Priority pass with no adjustments on max waiting time, max # of sold pass, etc. has no interest, because it has no advantage for the guest. This should be a popular way to skip the waiting line, but almost no one seems to be interested in priority pass.

Mechanics. Ride breaks, mechanics will go and repair it. You choose 30 minutes or 10 minutes maintenance time, it's hard to tell why we should let it to 30 minutes instead of 10? Does it cost less to set it to 30 minutes? What is the difference on reliability? The UI should give us this kind of information. In the park, what is the global realiability and what impact will it have on finances and reliability to have 3 mechanics, or 10 or just one?

Demographic. The idea is great, but why every scenario starts with 1/3 of each group? And the UI should give us more details about what each group wants and what impact it will have to build a coaster, a flat ride, etc. What impact it will have on happiness, # of guests, etc.?

Staff. Please balance the happiness of staff. Sometimes, staff leaves even if fully trained and well pay. 5 minutes before, he's happy and bang, without any reason, he left. Why?

I don't want micromanagement of ketchup level, this is boring and repetitive. But features that will add to the feeling to manage a park, yes. Competition for example (against AI, not necessarily multiplayer). Proactive or reactive rides repair. Longer shift for employees or more employees? More marketing for family, teen, adult? I would like to have more info in UI about impact this kind of decision will have on finances, on happiness and interest of guests in my park. Do I need to refurbished my rides or let them as is (what impact on guests)?

To summarize, I think that if UI gives more information about our choices and impact it will have and if some things are balanced, the game will greatly improve.

So excited to watch the stream tomorrow! Do you guys have a time on when it will be?
    Check out my YouTube channel full of Planet Coaster creations
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiI...b-BzntVv14nHAQ

Originally Posted by widlanquebec View Post (Source)
    Really, personally, I don't care about new features for the moment. The game really needs balancing things. OK, we can add ride sequence to improve interest, but it's not realistic that almost everyone goes to coaster or that almost nobody goes to some flat rides, even with added ride sequence (example whirly rig). The guests are supposed to have different interest and demographic should have more impact. A new ride should be more popular, yes, but the guest interest should have more impact on their decision. Also, the waiting time, the breakdown time,etc. should modify the prestige rate.

*snip*
    Balance issues are one of those areas where I desperately wished modding were possible because the community would be pumping out all sorts of mods that would address these balance problems that the devs are locking us out of doing. We'd have guest AI behavior mods, economy mods, security, prestige...etc. etc. etc. Please devs, open up the modding potential for the community!

What is preventing modding in Planet Coaster but RCT 1-2 had trainers, and RCT3 custom content, and Parkitect, custom content and 3D walk through your park and ride your rides mods? Is the code and files in PC much harder to understand and crack than the other games? I know someone has managed to make mods like a train that can loop upside down and build outside the park square, etc. If Frontier wanted to they could open up more land of the maps for us to make even bigger parks but they are afraid of people complaining about lagging and low fps. Maybe the scenario editor will let you edit the park size?

Originally Posted by DanFirewolfThorpe View Post (Source)
    Bo, Would it be possible to add a start of sequence section on the Flat Ride Sequencer, So you can start with effects right from the get go rather than waiting till the start of the first sequence? Can not wait for the update ,Been waiting for a water coaster for so long and it shall be such a versatile addition, BoatRides-Chute the Chutes/Splash Boats,Water Ride Dark Rides and Water Coasters, I all ready have ideas waiting a brewing, Another thing what would be so so sooooo helpful, Free 360 Rotation on all objects like roofs/ walls etc.
    I asked for this a few time already. Iwould like to make a pre show.

Originally Posted by Robert K View Post (Source)
    What is preventing modding in Planet Coaster but RCT 1-2 had trainers, and RCT3 custom content, and Parkitect, custom content and 3D walk through your park and ride your rides mods? Is the code and files in PC much harder to understand and crack than the other games? I know someone has managed to make mods like a train that can loop upside down and build outside the park square, etc. If Frontier wanted to they could open up more land of the maps for us to make even bigger parks but they are afraid of people complaining about lagging and low fps. Maybe the scenario editor will let you edit the park size?
    Modding looks like it's going to happen a lot sooner than RCT3, I just wish the devs weren't so frightened of it and made it easier to happen sooner. I think a lot of balancing issues could be resolved/discussed better with modding and letting the community tinker with it. We also swear we will still buy your awesome DLC packs even if we have custom scenery! There have been many successful devs that co-existed with paid DLC and community content.

There have been advances beyond a looping train with replacing textures, stall properties, being able to possibly add our own scenery/animatronics...there's also been a little, *hint**hint* that mod support by Frontier may be happening next year or at least some advances in modding potential? They're not against the community modding their game so in the end it just takes time and the state they are in with Planet Coaster is happening a lot faster than RCT3

With larger maps, the map size beyond the dotted line isn't that much bigger, you can see it where it's "stitched" with the scenery. The boundary beyond the map size is just a giant scenery object so we'll never be able to edit that. ...unless...mods

Planet Coaster Security
    Volunteer Moderator

Originally Posted by cerealfruitcakes View Post (Source)
    Modding looks like it's going to happen a lot sooner than RCT3, I just wish the devs weren't so frightened of it and made it easier to happen sooner.
    I don't think the devs are frightened of modding. They've always said that we're welcome to have a go. Asking them to *support* it is a different thing entirely, because that constitutes a set of commitments on their part:

- To document the file format or provide tools to read / pack files.
    - To document the texture, model, animation, shader, script, etc. formats or provide tools to manipulate them.
    - To fix issues that are exposed through the use of modded files.

Nothing there is trivial. Yes, Frontier have the tools to be able to author the .ovl files and to tweak all these variables, but they aren't designed for us mere mortals to use. Many of them may exist only as plugins to expensive commercial toolsets (e.g. Maya). Also, any work that they do toward modding is time that they could have spent working on other things, so we have to be careful what we ask for as a community. Do we want them to concentrate on adding new features to the game? Do we want them to balance what's there? Or would we prefer them to make the tools to allow the community to do those things?

For me, modding can't come soon enough. But for others it's a trivial aside and would rather see official support for new features. Who'd be a developer, eh?

shouldn't there be a live stream for the update tonight?

Originally Posted by Rusty2000 View Post (Source)
    shouldn't there be a live stream for the update tonight?
    Yes there will be. Very excited to see the picknick benches and the water coaster. Soooo curious to see what else is coming. I'm really hoping for a big load of new content. Maybe in a dlc or expansion.
    Also still praying for midway games in the game.
    Loving the new little management features too. I know it's not a big detailed feature but it still adds depth.
    We'll see tonight what's new.

Don't be disappointed if they won't show the benches, water coaster and management additions.
    This is what Bo said in the OP some weeks ago :

To go into more detail on the Scenario Editor, its possibilities, and all of the UI and management additions, we’ve planned a special livestream on Wednesday November 15 which will feature a live build of the 1.4 Update (do note we will focus on the Scenario Editor only).
    So only the Scenario Editor will be the focus!