[1.3.2] Certain Rides and Shops have zero demand unless they're the only one in the park

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Certain Rides and Shops have zero demand unless they're the only one in the park

Certain Rides and Shops have zero demand unless they're the only one in the park

Severity
    Severe

Frequency
    All of the time (100% reproducible)

Area of Game Affected
    Park Management

Description
    While playing, I've noticed that the demand for shops and rides seems odd.

I've noticed that Pizza Pen, Street Fox Coffee, Missy Good, Cosmic Cow Ice Cream have no or very little demand when other shops are present. That's nor right, surely? (See screen in reply). The Gift shops seem to match this too. There's no demand for Justa Momento when there's Loony Bloons present. This basically means that there's no point even having them in the game as they're not worth placing - they may as well not exist.

Also, the same applies for rides too. Some rides seem to have ridiculous demand yet others are completely left alone. Rocktopus, Carousel, Aeronauts, Tea Cups, Big Wheel, Kick Flip for example have NO demand and will be completely empty when other rides are present, while the Tractors, Log Flume, Rapids, Zozo, Magic Kats all seem to have the complete opposite and guests love them. Place all of these in the park and you have the extreme.

This has been on-going since launch though, so surely some-one must have noticed this and attempted to fix it? These issues make late-game play almost impossible and quite frankly, quite unenjoyable

Steps to Reproduce
    As above

Not a bug, but functions of how peep decision-making works.

For rides, choices are functions of a multi-level decision-making process involving the ride's fear and nausea ratings compared to the peep's personal tastes, then the ride's prestige, the travel distance, and several other things. If a ride gets very little or no business, it's either because its stats limit its market share (too extreme or too tame) and/or because its prestige is too low compared to other rides in the park. The tamer flat rides are screwed both ways here, never having high stats and thus always having low prestige. You can tweak their animation sequences to help this. See this thread:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=877268657

For all types of shops, peeps have hardwired preferences.
    * Gifts: most peeps will buy a balloon, a fair number will buy a hat, and hardly anybody will buy a memento.
    * Food: peeps love hamburgers and hotdogs, a fair number like Mexican, and they hate everything else.
    * Drink: peeps love water and slush, some like smoothies, and they hate everything else.
    See this thread for more details: https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sho...l=1#post172210

Also note that benches provide peep energy restoration for free. Therefore, if you have lots of benches in your park, you'll never sell a cup of coffee and very few energy drinks.
    -Bullethead
    (click here for Workshop page)
    NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ∆QVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE

4. This is the last staff post in this thread. #4
    It's pretty difficult to investigate this one, as there are lots and lots of variables that can all factor into whether a guest will perceive value from your shops and rides. Have you fiddled with prices and extras? These can also effect the popularity of a shop.

Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post (Source)
    Not a bug, but functions of how peep decision-making works.

For rides, choices are functions of a multi-level decision-making process involving the ride's fear and nausea ratings compared to the peep's personal tastes, then the ride's prestige, the travel distance, and several other things. If a ride gets very little or no business, it's either because its stats limit its market share (too extreme or too tame) and/or because its prestige is too low compared to other rides in the park. The tamer flat rides are screwed both ways here, never having high stats and thus always having low prestige. You can tweak their animation sequences to help this. See this thread:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=877268657

For all types of shops, peeps have hardwired preferences.
    * Gifts: most peeps will buy a balloon, a fair number will buy a hat, and hardly anybody will buy a memento.
    * Food: peeps love hamburgers and hotdogs, a fair number like Mexican, and they hate everything else.
    * Drink: peeps love water and slush, some like smoothies, and they hate everything else.
    See this thread for more details: https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sho...l=1#post172210

Also note that benches provide peep energy restoration for free. Therefore, if you have lots of benches in your park, you'll never sell a cup of coffee and very few energy drinks.
    Your other post has some really interesting insight and I so wanted to come away from it thinking "they're talking rubbish" but actually.. a lot of what you've said is not only well thought out but rings mostly true. There are some variations with when Donuts and Pizza seem acceptable to guests and I have an example where I have 4 Energy stalls back to back that are always busy despite having no teens and plenty of benches in the area - but on the whole you've certainly given me a load of info to work with, thanks!

Mark - I'm not sure how you'd investigate this one either, but it seems a common complaint / observation from many players and certainly my own parks. I've taken to not bother placing certain rides - whether they are edited or not - because later on in the game they're just not worth having. It seems that there is a serious imbalance some-where though... Even if it's as "easy" (I say that very candidly) as having a modifier that rebalances the demand for the over popular rides. For example, we know that Log Flumes and Tractors will fall within the tolerance of the vast majority of guests leading to the massive spike in demand. Could it not then be retro-modified to only allow a certain number of guests head for it; a bit like an agent / token system where the ride only has, say, 100 tokens (or even better would be for a player controlled number) available for agents to claim - any more than that and guests ignore it and do something else? The player wouldn't notice a massive difference as the ride still has the same throughput but instead the guests will be off doing other things..

Yeah you all certainly did a number with the guests complaining about the price of everything from the vendors. I now get monthly reports that every single type of food and drink is too expensive when 3/4 of my stalls are making $0.00 profits already and a few hundred guests saying they are hungry and thirsty.

I can solve all of that if I just place water and burger stalls as they are the only ones doing any business. So something is wrong if the guests refuse to buy or consume milkshakes and hot dogs as well as soda seeing they are staples in a park.
    The fact that all main first start off with flat rides become money hogs and drain funds away from a park and never ever ever break even once custom rides and being put in the park is crazy.

Guests constantly go to and revisit certain rides and if they can not get on them because of full que lines then we get complaints that que lines are too long and that the ques are full constantly and yet 20 or more rides are empty and a total loss!

Originally Posted by QA-Mark View Post (Source)
    It's pretty difficult to investigate this one, as there are lots and lots of variables that can all factor into whether a guest will perceive value from your shops and rides. Have you fiddled with prices and extras? These can also effect the popularity of a shop.
    Thats never fixed the problem even when a simple thrill ride is free it still dosent generate guests or revenue

Odd.
    I am having no problem making money from Hats, Momentos, and Balloons.
    In fact, I am making a killing on Momentos.
    (7,600 Peeps in park, paid entry, free rides.)

I seem to have this problem with the 2 new rides from the last update (Manic Mouse & Coriolis). No problems with any other shops or rides.

Okay I can not keep employee's in their stalls they quit in a month or 2 at the max since the newest upgrade because they are bored.

Went from just a couple of negative remarks a month to 80 reports a month that shops cost too much. Lowered the pricing and now not only are they saying my prices are too high but also there are too many people waiting for service at the same shops complaints.

I had money reserves and was working towards some new rides but now I am in the negative because I had to lower shop prices below profit range to get guests to use them and they are ignoring ALL FLAT RIDES and only going to track and water rides. So basically you just killed my park I have been working on for a month since this newest work was put out.

Originally Posted by CT_Marauder View Post (Source)
    Okay I can not keep employee's in their stalls they quit in a month or 2 at the max since the newest upgrade because they are bored.

Went from just a couple of negative remarks a month to 80 reports a month that shops cost too much. Lowered the pricing and now not only are they saying my prices are too high but also there are too many people waiting for service at the same shops complaints.

I had money reserves and was working towards some new rides but now I am in the negative because I had to lower shop prices below profit range to get guests to use them and they are ignoring ALL FLAT RIDES and only going to track and water rides. So basically you just killed my park I have been working on for a month since this newest work was put out.
    This should be a bug report of its own.
    I had similar issues after the update. It evened itself out after a few month.
    But yes, I suddenly had many many shops close, and all venders show "low" workload even though they have full lines.
    You don't need to lower your prices at all. I typically add $3 to every item from the default.
    Everybody left all the flat rides, and we're going for food, and track rides. But again...I just fast forwarded for a while and it all sorted itself back out to how it was before the update. It seems they tweaked something, and the game had to find new balance.

I basicly went bankrupt

Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post (Source)
    This should be a bug report of its own.
    I had similar issues after the update. It evened itself out after a few month.
    But yes, I suddenly had many many shops close, and all venders show "low" workload even though they have full lines.
    You don't need to lower your prices at all. I typically add $3 to every item from the default.
    Everybody left all the flat rides, and we're going for food, and track rides. But again...I just fast forwarded for a while and it all sorted itself back out to how it was before the update. It seems they tweaked something, and the game had to find new balance.

I'm more than $100,000.00 in the negative before I turned it off and gave up.
    What burns me about it is this was the first park I ever made that was multi themed and I spent days of time making those
    areas of the park match the theme setting. Anyways no way to make any changes being that far in debt.
    It's hard as a stroke victim to concentrate that long and think that much so the loss was devastating to me.

I'm trying a new park and different venue and map to see if I can learn the new game system and how to navigate through it.
    Keeping my fingers crossed!