Creating that Epic Park Entrance

Thread: Creating that Epic Park Entrance

Creating that Epic Park Entrance

Hey guys, so I've been trying to improve my park entrance skills. I'm going for a new pirate-themed park and am going to use sandstone for my base. I would like to put shops inside my entrance building. However, I seem to have a problem with structuring a good path inside. I've seen inside other buildings that have shops inside them the paths stretch all around in a solid square but when I try to do it, my paths go every which way. Needless to say, it doesn't look good when finished. I've tried doing grids but the grid won't connect to a lot of my shops. I would also like to go the extra mile and creating two floors but not sure how to do this exactly. I know this is kinda hard to say in text but I think you guys can understand.

Do you think you could help a fellow PC creator out?

Hello! I moved this to the How do I section.
    There is an option in paths, to use square paths and a grid, which allows you neatly create paths around buildings. Have a look at the different checkbox available.
    - Planet Coaster - - Harry Potter - - Crafts - - Coding -

Originally Posted by LastJedi View Post (Source)
    Hey guys, so I've been trying to improve my park entrance skills. I'm going for a new pirate-themed park and am going to use sandstone for my base. I would like to put shops inside my entrance building. However, I seem to have a problem with structuring a good path inside. I've seen inside other buildings that have shops inside them the paths stretch all around in a solid square but when I try to do it, my paths go every which way. Needless to say, it doesn't look good when finished. I've tried doing grids but the grid won't connect to a lot of my shops. I would also like to go the extra mile and creating two floors but not sure how to do this exactly. I know this is kinda hard to say in text but I think you guys can understand.
    Yeah, paths and buildings don't play nice together. It would be so nice if actual building parts could serve as paths and avoid all this trouble. But for now, we must struggle along with what we've got.

Anyway, there are a few tricks of the trade when it comes to integrating gridded paths with buildinds and shops.

#1. Selecting Proper Grid Height.
    What you want is the grid height at the top of the wall section below the level of the path. Seems like you can only select this height if you have a flat roof tile on top of a wall section that high. Wiggle the cursor around until the blue grid graphic is in the joint between the top of the wall and the bottom of the flat tile, then select that grid. This will put the top surface of the path a few inches above the top of the floor tile, so the path texture is visible.

#2. Hiding the Path Texture
    If you don't want to see the path texture, but only the flat tile texture, you now have to select and raise the floor the smallest amount possible. There are 2 issues you have to deal with to do this, though. First, it's devilishly hard to select floor tiles under paths without using the group select box, which can select too much so you have to be very careful to deselect any pieces other than the floor. Second, as long as the floor is still part of the original building, the least you can raise it is 0.25m, which is enough to cover the feet of peeps walking on the path, so they look like they're wading ankle-deep in the floor. To raise the floor only the few pixels necessary to hide the path texture without hiding the peeps' feet, you have to separate the selected floor tiles from the original building. This makes these tiles into a new building. You can then use advanced move to raise the floor just a few pixels.

#3. Connecting Shops to Gridded Paths
    Gridded paths can't connect to shops or form stairs or ramps (see below). Thus, you have to be in non-gridded mode to connect shops to paths. So, place the shop boxes at least 2m from the gridded path area, then connect them in non-gridded path mode.
    * NOTE: The same goes for ride entrance and exit gates. You must leave a 4m gap between the gridded path and the gate, then connect with non-gridded path.

#4. Making Mulit-Story Paths
    Stairs and ramps can only be made in non-gridded mode, but can be used to connect pre-existing gridded areas on different levels. This works best going in a straight line but it IS possible, with much cursing and fiddling with the mouse, to incorporate a 90^ turn in the stairs between levels as welll. The procedure is as follows:
    1. Make a gridded area of path for the lower level.
    2. While still in gridded path mode, use SHF and an upwards motion with the mouse to raise the grid level 4m up. All gridded path height changes are in increments of 4m, never less, nothing you can do about that.
    3. Move the cursor 2 grids over and place a section of gridded path on the level 4m above the original level. IOW, there is a 4m horizontal gap between the edges of the paths on the 1st and 2nd levels.
    4. Hit ESC to exit gridded mode and connect the gridded paths on the 2 levels with stairs. The stairs will fill the gap between the edges of the gridded areas.
    * NOTE: You can also make stairs of 8m height be leaving an 8m horizontal gap, or you can make ramps that have a 4m rise for an 8m run.
    -Bullethead
    (click here for Workshop page)
    NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ∆QVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE