Coaster builder: section lenght/direction

Thread: Coaster builder: section lenght/direction

Coaster builder: section lenght/direction

Hi everybody,
    It's been a while since my last time here, so I apology if a similar topic already exits.

My inquiry here concern the length, direction and radius of a track section and the way it works. It's mostly fine, but just as for the rotation tool where we can choose between relative and world coordinates, I wish we had an option to choose from an alternative building method.

Let me explain that with a quick exemple:

Here is a dark-ride turn with the smallest radius possible. It's a 4m section at 90.

But what happens if I want to make the overall turn 135?

Oh noes, it changes the radius! (#overlydramatic)

It's quite a bummer, especially for dark-rides but also for all other kind of tracked rides, including coasters and vertical radii.
    In the case above, there are no workaround... It's also quite bothering with rides with super-long sections, such as Steel Hydra and the flume.

What I wish the alternative mode would do:

Instead of length (m) and angle (), we would have length (m) and radius (m), perhaps with a degree output for clarity.
    So if we tweak the lenght of a piece...

... it keeps the same radius!

Basically when you slide your mouse, it extends the portion of circle.

I hope you guys get my point. Thanks for reading!

The last pic is just 2 pieces of the pic above it.

Indeed! So yeah, sometimes you can find a workaround, but sometimes you can't (ie. when you use the tiniest radii).
    And it's not only a question of possibilities, but also workflow.

I think I understand after thinking about it. Your example isn't ideal.

You want any radius to automatically be a quarter of a circle?

Emh, no, haha.

What I'd want is to be able to set a radius (ex: 8m) and then be able to grab the piece and make it longer or shorter while maintening this radius.
    In the first exemple I'm showing how currently, either changing angle or changing length also changes the radius. They are no way to keep the same radius unless you fiddle with it (this is what I did on exemple two, because it was quite simple math -> a 4m piece at 45 or a 8m at 90).

why don't you split into 2 x 67'5 instead of 90 and 45 ?

edit - sorry, forget my question. now i understand your problem.. it's rather about the lack of custom track piece length than creating a desired angle.

Oh, geez. I get it now.

LOL

You want the length to just add onto the very end of the piece. Extend, essentially.
    Where now lengthening is actually scaling, which changes the radius.

Oh yes, that's it! It's a very simple matter but somehow hard to put words on it (especially as a non-native english speaker).

Originally Posted by KingRCT3 View Post (Source)
    Emh, no, haha.

What I'd want is to be able to set a radius (ex: 8m) and then be able to grab the piece and make it longer or shorter while maintening this radius.
    In the first exemple I'm showing how currently, either changing angle or changing length also changes the radius. They are no way to keep the same radius unless you fiddle with it (this is what I did on exemple two, because it was quite simple math -> a 4m piece at 45 or a 8m at 90).
    This would be a great addition to the track builder!

Originally Posted by KingRCT3 View Post (Source)
    Emh, no, haha.

fantastic idea.
    i fought the track builder for 2 hours yesterday, trying to get a piece to line up
    a problem with the suggestion, i think, is that building pieces seem to have an atomic length (in meters), and the drag tool increments in jumps.
    you're asking for a variable length arc with a set radius - but the game wants atomic lengths (by atomic i mean no fractional lengths).

sounds like a big old re-code big time. so no chance.

BUT i'd love it if i'm wrong about that.
    | YouTube: sqmsygames | Steam Workshop: jamesviago | Disney Cruiser | RCT3 / CIV V Addict | Coaster Head | Early Bird | VIP Group |

Originally Posted by jamesviago View Post (Source)
    fantastic idea.
    i fought the track builder for 2 hours yesterday, trying to get a piece to line up
    a problem with the suggestion, i think, is that building pieces seem to have an atomic length (in meters), and the drag tool increments in jumps.
    you're asking for a variable length arc with a set radius - but the game wants atomic lengths (by atomic i mean no fractional lengths).

sounds like a big old re-code big time. so no chance.

BUT i'd love it if i'm wrong about that.
    Not necessarily.

All parts of the coaster support fractional increments; you can make the track bank 48.13 degrees and tilt 13.45 degrees. Except for the length of the track. So why is that? Maybe it makes the spline-graphs easier to work with? probably not, since other spline based track system such as NoLimit's do not have this limitation. They are a bit different of course, but that is mostly due to NoLimits giving us way more control. while Planet Coaster's system favors giving us less control to make it a bit easier to use. So my guess is it's an arbitrary restriction to make the coaster builder seem more friendly to use.

Another reason I don't believe the atomic increments are some limitation in PCs spline system is because is some cases, the length of track piece does increase with very small (fractional) increments. You will see this sometimes when making air time hills or inversions. Say you make a simple dive loop. When you are at the part where the track is upside down and start making the half loop, put the track length at the smallest value (4 or 5 meters). Now when you tilt the track from the 180 degree angle to 90 degree and beyond, you will see the track increase in length, but not using the 1 meter increments. It probably does this to prevent coaster cars from colliding. Maybe it's only a visual thing and the data structure still holds the original length, but still.

When you lock back onto the station it makes a piece that fills that gap, no matter the length of the piece. That would be a random length.

The lock thing works anywhere around the track too.

Also smooth seems to shorten pieces and i doubt they are in 1m increments either.

agreed. non-atomic lengths do exist as you've described. i'm hoping Chems is right, and we could have a "Snap length to" like we do with the angles. and if off, we can then use any length.
    the radius is trickier. i suggest if "Snap length to" is on, it works like now - the length/radius varies atomically and the turn angle stays fixed (according to the angle tool). if "Snap length to" is off, the radius stays fixed at it's current value and the angle/length vary to any length.
    | YouTube: sqmsygames | Steam Workshop: jamesviago | Disney Cruiser | RCT3 / CIV V Addict | Coaster Head | Early Bird | VIP Group |

Originally Posted by Lurker View Post (Source)
    When you lock back onto the station it makes a piece that fills that gap, no matter the length of the piece. That would be a random length.

The lock thing works anywhere around the track too.

Also smooth seems to shorten pieces and i doubt they are in 1m increments either.
    Good points! Hadn't even thought of them. Just adds to the idea that the 1m increments is nothing more like an arbitrary restriction, just like all the other coaster restrictions.

Originally Posted by jamesviago View Post (Source)
    agreed. non-atomic lengths do exist as you've described. i'm hoping Chems is right, and we could have a "Snap length to" like we do with the angles. and if off, we can then use any length.
    the radius is trickier. i suggest if "Snap length to" is on, it works like now - the length/radius varies atomically and the turn angle stays fixed (according to the angle tool). if "Snap length to" is off, the radius stays fixed at it's current value and the angle/length vary to any length.
    This would be a great improvement. I really hope Frontier will go back to the coaster builder and add all the missing but essential options so we can finally build coasters in peace.