Why did tegidcam get removed and what reason is there to have the cam mode where you use an xbox controller?

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Why did tegidcam get removed and what reason is there to have the cam mode where you use an xbox controller?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1

    Why did tegidcam get removed and what reason is there to have the cam mode where you use an xbox controller?

    Since the 1.2 update tegidcam doesn't work and I can't walk around the parks. It was a real cool and new feature. What is the reason it got removed?

    And I have tried the new controller movement because I thought maybe this is like a replacement but I don't think it is because it is really useless. You can't walk through the park with the controller because the cam isn't locked at a certain height and it doesn't take into account where the ground is. So what is the point of having this feature it seems just completely useless because with the keyboard and mouse you can do the same and it's much more precise than the xbox controller.

    I don't understand why a cool and perfectly working camera mode got removed and a pointless camera mode got put in. Maybe someone can explain this or is there any word from the developers? And when can we walk through the parks again?

    I just really like to walk through all the wonderful creations and see my park as a guest, this is such a beautiful game but I miss being inside the parks and walk around like I was actually there.

  2. #2
    I never really used it all that much but seems many did. There hasn't been any word from Frontier either on why it was removed :/

    I know when it was released as a "cheat" in alpha they mentioned it was a work in progress, so maybe it's on its way back in and better?

  3. #3
    I'm also curious about this. I asked on Twitter but haven't had a response.

    The zoom feature was the main reason I used it.

  4. #4
    I miss the tegidcam as well. Being able to walk through my parks and experience the different sightlines as a guest truly was a wonderful experience. I am not surprised they didn't add it to the controller. Restricting any type of control of a PC game to a controller would be ridiculous. Many people don't have one.

    As for why they removed it? Maybe they are working on a fully implemented first person feature. The tegidcam was just an experiment after all. Although they could have just left it in until we would get this new version.

    More likely, it got removed because it conflicted with other systems in the game. Probably with the newly added ability to disable collision. With the terrain-collision turned off, the tegidcam couldn't stick to the surface any more, and since it was never an 'official' feature, they didn't felt the need to update it to make it compatible. This is all speculation of course..

    Still, it would be great if Frontier communicated about these things. I bet if they explained why they had to remove it, no one would be angry or upset about it. Thinking about it, this probably counts for many things. When people request things they like to see in the game, or want to why feature X,Y,Z doesn't work like expected or is not implemented yet, they like clearness. I'd rather hear they are not working on something than them just ignoring it all together and leaving us in the dark.

    Originally Posted by Coasterfan312 View Post (Source)
    I'm also curious about this. I asked on Twitter but haven't had a response.

    The zoom feature was the main reason I used it.
    Yup, I believe it was the only camera where we could actually change the FoV.

  5. #5
    This just reminds me of the time I tried to enter "tegicam" and it wasn't working so I posted here, "Why isn't it working?!" I was forgetting the d. Oops.

    I definitely would love to have this back, I love being able to move around locked down to the path/ground.

  6. #6
    Thank you everyone for answering! That is a little bit disappointing I was hoping on this forum someone might know but maybe FRONTIER can answer this or maybe BO can talk about it in the livestream.

    Originally Posted by Ddef12 View Post (Source)
    I never really used it all that much but seems many did. There hasn't been any word from Frontier either on why it was removed :/

    I know when it was released as a "cheat" in alpha they mentioned it was a work in progress, so maybe it's on its way back in and better?
    Maybe they are working on something I don't know but I hope they are putting it back in and even a better version of it maybe!

    Originally Posted by Chems View Post (Source)
    I miss the tegidcam as well. Being able to walk through my parks and experience the different sightlines as a guest truly was a wonderful experience. I am not surprised they didn't add it to the controller. Restricting any type of control of a PC game to a controller would be ridiculous. Many people don't have one.

    As for why they removed it? Maybe they are working on a fully implemented first person feature. The tegidcam was just an experiment after all. Although they could have just left it in until we would get this new version.

    More likely, it got removed because it conflicted with other systems in the game. Probably with the newly added ability to disable collision. With the terrain-collision turned off, the tegidcam couldn't stick to the surface any more, and since it was never an 'official' feature, they didn't felt the need to update it to make it compatible. This is all speculation of course..

    Still, it would be great if Frontier communicated about these things. I bet if they explained why they had to remove it, no one would be angry or upset about it. Thinking about it, this probably counts for many things. When people request things they like to see in the game, or want to why feature X,Y,Z doesn't work like expected or is not implemented yet, they like clearness. I'd rather hear they are not working on something than them just ignoring it all together and leaving us in the dark.

    Yup, I believe it was the only camera where we could actually change the FoV.
    Yes I agree with you if they work on it that is great but I don't think they should remove tegidcam before we have a new way to walk through the park because now we can't do that at all. I know we speculate but I would not disable collision if I could walk through the park or just disable collision when I don't use tegidcam.

    I hope they do communicate about it because if the people on the forum don't know I don't think anyone knows. In my opinion it would be better to have a reason and knowing when we will be able to visit the parks again.

    Did anyone try the xbox controller and what do you think about it?

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Chems View Post (Source)
    IMore likely, it got removed because it conflicted with other systems in the game. Probably with the newly added ability to disable collision. With the terrain-collision turned off, the tegidcam couldn't stick to the surface any more, and since it was never an 'official' feature, they didn't felt the need to update it to make it compatible. This is all speculation of course..
    Nah, that can't be the reason. Frontier already confirmed that the collision calculation is still being done at all times, the engine just restricts a bit less during object placement when the checkbox(es) are ticked. However, we still can't build rides through footpaths, the terrain still tunnels around rides, guests still try to avoid clipping into each other and coaster cars still have their physics enabled when getting off the rails.

    I do believe it might conflict with another system in the game however, namely the optimized searching. It was made a lot faster for the update and I can imagine that having a function that checks for the correct cheat input is the first thing that has to go when you want to optimize searching performance.

    Personally I don't miss the cheat, I didn't even know it was still working. I find that the advanced camera (activated with the T key) already allows me to position the camera anywhere I want, including inside tunnels and vantage points from the guests perspective.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Serpentrax View Post (Source)
    Nah, that can't be the reason. Frontier already confirmed that the collision calculation is still being done at all times, the engine just restricts a bit less during object placement when the checkbox(es) are ticked. However, we still can't build rides through footpaths, the terrain still tunnels around rides, guests still try to avoid clipping into each other and coaster cars still have their physics enabled when getting off the rails.

    I do believe it might conflict with another system in the game however, namely the optimized searching. It was made a lot faster for the update and I can imagine that having a function that checks for the correct cheat input is the first thing that has to go when you want to optimize searching performance.

    Personally I don't miss the cheat, I didn't even know it was still working. I find that the advanced camera (activated with the T key) already allows me to position the camera anywhere I want, including inside tunnels and vantage points from the guests perspective.
    Maybe it was because of searching but i think it could be a button or just the camera button to cycle through the different modes so you press T twice and you get tegidcam and again for normal cam.

    I know you can position the camera anywhere you want in tunnels and so on but that was not what tegidcam was for. You could actually walk through the park and be a real guest in your own park if you know what I mean! It was so much fun to see everything because it was just like being there and you could even be a guest in the parks on the workshop!

    I reallly hope they bring it back, pleeeease FRONTIER I would be so happy!

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Serpentrax View Post (Source)
    Nah, that can't be the reason. Frontier already confirmed that the collision calculation is still being done at all times, the engine just restricts a bit less during object placement when the checkbox(es) are ticked. However, we still can't build rides through footpaths, the terrain still tunnels around rides, guests still try to avoid clipping into each other and coaster cars still have their physics enabled when getting off the rails.

    I do believe it might conflict with another system in the game however, namely the optimized searching. It was made a lot faster for the update and I can imagine that having a function that checks for the correct cheat input is the first thing that has to go when you want to optimize searching performance.

    Personally I don't miss the cheat, I didn't even know it was still working. I find that the advanced camera (activated with the T key) already allows me to position the camera anywhere I want, including inside tunnels and vantage points from the guests perspective.
    One of the reasons it took so long for them to implement a simple collision toggle was because lots of system depended on there being collision. So this could very likely be the case for the tegidcam as well. It could indeed be removed because they changed the search algorithm, I hadn't thought about that. But likely not for performance reasons. A simple string check would cost less than a millisecond to do. Still, would be great to hear the actual reason from Frontier. It was a pretty popular feature.

  10. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #10
    Hi friends!

    Firstly, sorry Coasterfan that we missed your Twitter comment. I'll look into it for you!

    As for TegidCam, we are aware of your sentiment and it's definitely a feature we love as well I'm sure it'll make it back into the game at some point.

    Have a lovely Friday,

    Bo

  11. #11
    Vampiro is online now
    Planet Coaster Security
    Volunteer Moderator
    Vampiro's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Bo Marit View Post (Source)
    Hi friends!

    Firstly, sorry Coasterfan that we missed your Twitter comment. I'll look into it for you!

    As for TegidCam, we are aware of your sentiment and it's definitely a feature we love as well I'm sure it'll make it back into the game at some point.

    Have a lovely Friday,

    Bo
    Glad to hear that

    I hope we get the best of both worlds, walk around your park tegidcam-style while controlling it with the Xbox controller

    Im sure i will spend a lot of time visiting my own parks

  12. #12
    Fantastic news!

    I think tegidcam would be perfect if when we exit out of ride cam we go right back into where we were in tegidcam rather than escaping out of it all together. If that makes sense?

  13. #13
    Vampiro is online now
    Planet Coaster Security
    Volunteer Moderator
    Vampiro's Avatar
    Originally Posted by cerealfruitcakes View Post (Source)
    Fantastic news!

    I think tegidcam would be perfect if when we exit out of ride cam we go right back into where we were in tegidcam rather than escaping out of it all together. If that makes sense?
    It makes sense ...

    Like we can walk around in Tegidcam-mode (Xbox joypad controlled) in our parks, visit a ride, stand in the queue line, ride rides, and when we leave just stay in the tegidcam.

    Basically being able to visit your own park and ride rides trough a guests perspective

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by Bo Marit View Post (Source)
    Hi friends!

    Firstly, sorry Coasterfan that we missed your Twitter comment. I'll look into it for you!

    As for TegidCam, we are aware of your sentiment and it's definitely a feature we love as well I'm sure it'll make it back into the game at some point.

    Have a lovely Friday,

    Bo
    While that's great to hear, it doesn't answer our questions. We want to know why it was removed.

    Originally Posted by Vampiro View Post (Source)
    Glad to hear that

    I hope we get the best of both worlds, walk around your park tegidcam-style while controlling it with the Xbox controller

    Im sure i will spend a lot of time visiting my own parks
    They better not lock it to controllers. I loathe controllers...

  15. #15
    Yesssss happy to hear it is coming back someday

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by Bo Marit View Post (Source)
    As for TegidCam, we are aware of your sentiment and it's definitely a feature we love as well I'm sure it'll make it back into the game at some point.
    I knew tegidcam would come back! you guys said during alpha that it was a work-in-progress feature but never mentioned it since then. I couldn't believe you removed it without saying anything though, that seemed a bit strange but you devs are all sworn too secrecy I hope first person mode can be expanded to include our own avatars and possibly third person view too

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by creaper View Post (Source)
    I knew tegidcam would come back, you guys said during alpha that it was a work-in-progress feature but never mentioned it since then. I couldn't believe you removed it without saying anything though, that seemed a bit strange but you devs are all sworn too secrecy I hope first person mode can be expanded to include our own avatars and possibly third person view too
    Yes, they will probably add it again as a guest mode, or something. I also wish they'd add something like leisure activities where the guess go and chill somewhere, lie on a sunbed, eat on a picnic table, play on a playground, interact with scenery, go to a parade or show, etc.

  18. #18
    So, it seems there will be something coming "that's worth it" to have some patience for.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/PlanetCoast...idcam/dgka4xk/

    Would be great to have that reaction here as well, as these are the official Planet Coaster forums. Anyway, proper first-person character control incoming?!

  19. #19
    I don't get why we have to wait for something though. Couldn't they just leave it in until the new thing's ready? I can't really record any videos now because I used the zoom feature for basically every offride shot.

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by Coasterfan312 View Post (Source)
    I don't get why we have to wait for something though. Couldn't they just leave it in until the new thing's ready? I can't really record any videos now because I used the zoom feature for basically every offride shot.
    Yeah.. I get they don't want to spoil stuff and like to surprise us but seriously, the way they keep everything shrouded in secrecy.. It makes people just care a whole lot less I think. A simple "Hey we removed it for reasons but something better is coming" would be enough. Instead we hear basically nothing. Heck, even the Reddit post I linked in my previous comment contains more information from Frontier about this issue than this thread on the official forums.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not edit your posts
  • You may not post attachments