Newspaper article about long queues

Thread: Newspaper article about long queues

Newspaper article about long queues

Belgian newspaper article from this weekend:
    http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170417_02837064

Translation of the relevant parts:

We went to amusement parks en masse during the easter holiday because... there were already many people there.

Why we go to amusement parks en masse despite the long queues.

... So you were warned about long queues, in case you still went there this weekend. And yet we didn't let that stop us.
    "People like to be where a lot of people are" explains leisuretime sociologist Ignace Glorieux. "We want to seek out the masses because we think there is something to be experienced there. So we want to be there too."
    No, of course you have no desire to queue for hours before you can go on an attraction. "But it does make it more special to have to wait for it for three quarters of an hour" says Glorieux. "We are part of something that is wanted by a lot of people. It is as if waiting long makes it more precious."
    The sociologist compares it to a concert: we don't want an exaggerated amount of people around us, but in a half empty concertroom you feel like you are somewhere that has low interest.
    "At the coast it is just the same. If it's calm there, a lot of people complain because there's no atmosphere. It feels weird when there are too few people. We then miss the holiday spirit."

So remember, if you had to queue a long time this weekend to be tossed around in an attraction for only two minutes. Not queueing had probably made it less fun.

I've been to a lot of parks in the US and when I was growing up, my family realized that going to parks on a holiday is a waste of money. I bet if you were to go to any parks the week before or the week after Easter, they would all be practically deserted. They also raise prices on busier days because it requires more employees. If you go during a slow day, you can enjoy the park and rides sooo much more and get better value for your money. Always plan trips to amusement parks on non-holidays and non-weekends, and save your holidays for other events One time I went to Universal Studios in Orlando Florida during a slow week, I was able to ride the coasters over 60 times plus all the other rides a few times in 3 days and at a discount! it was great
    PlanCo + RCTClassic Alpha VIP Thrillseeker
    Video games are not meant to mimic reality, but to exaggerate it

Moved this to Real World Parks and rides subforum as I feel it fits here better. I totally disagree with the article. Surely it's to do with kids being off school? I would always avoid going at such times where possible.
    Player player = new Player { EarlyBirdPass = true, CoasterHeadClub = true, VIPSingleTicket = true };

yep - the problem is holidays are most busy because that is when kids are off from school and in most cases its the only time families can go on trips to these destinations. Personally, we used to take our kids out of school for a week in early December to go to Disney. We had the parks pretty much to ourselves. Thats not true as much anymore because of the special holiday events, they slow times are also not as slow anymore. Living in Florida now...and just a hop, skip, and a jump from Disney...we can go pretty much anytime of year and just for short, sometimes day trips...and manage our own crowd control as best we can.

Yeah I think so too. Ideally you plan it on a slow day(s)
    When I went to Disneyland with my little niece I was saddened, especially for her, about how few things we got to do.
    And still, the article is right in the sense that the negative doesn't keep people away, but I would think that's probably because people have no other choice than to go on busy days rather than liking busy days.

Any people here enjoying going because of what the article suggests?

Originally Posted by creaper View Post (Source)
    I've been to a lot of parks in the US and when I was growing up, my family realized that going to parks on a holiday is a waste of money. I bet if you were to go to any parks the week before or the week after Easter, they would all be practically deserted. They also raise prices on busier days because it requires more employees. If you go during a slow day, you can enjoy the park and rides sooo much more and get better value for your money. Always plan trips to amusement parks on non-holidays and non-weekends, and save your holidays for other events One time I went to Universal Studios in Orlando Florida during a slow week, I was able to ride the coasters over 60 times plus all the other rides a few times in 3 days and at a discount! it was great
    Yep!
    I went to Dorney Park July 4th weekend (U.S. Independence Day).
    It was a downright mob-scene!!! Wall-to-wall people. Crowded as heck, massive wait times,and tons of ignorant, impatient, messy, bitter park-goers.

A week and a half later I went again with some friends on a Tuesday morning. We spent almost the whole day there and had a blast!

The lines were over an hour shorter (15 minute MAX wait). The staff was happier and less stressed. The other guests were definitely happier. The park was much cleaner and the same food was better prepared (less rushed) and much tastier.

Instead of riding only a few coasters we rode everything we wanted 3-4 times each. What a difference!

Timing your visit for the "off days" pays off in many ways!